Monday, August 09, 2004

Top 5 Moving Experiences

I promise that not every entry will be a top five or top ten list. However, this journal is also for my own records, and there are a few memories I would like to hang onto. Moving weekend back in May was so smooth. But there are always a few funny and tearful moments, so here are my top five:

1. Having Walkie Talkies on the way over. For those of you who dread your next family vacation that involves taking more than one car, may I suggest to you the endless possibilities of investing in a few Walkie Talkies (or borrowing the churches- whatever). It really does make the trip so much more exciting. EVEN though you have a cell phone that you can talk to that person in the car behind you, being able to say "roger that" and "loud and clear" adds a hint of excitement that no cell phone can accomplish.
a
2. The Uhaul company in Searcy did not secure the truck size Daddy asked for. Instead, they booked a semi-sized truck that would easily have moved me and a family of 5 packrats. So here I am, pulling up in a Uhaul the size of a barn, and I am sure the neighbors are thinking the Clampets have indeed finally arrived to Nashville.

3. Upon exploring my apartment, I failed to notice that the glass door to my outside porch/deck area also had a screen door. I was storing something outside, and got excited about a story I was telling Nanga, Holly, and TJ on the other side; and literally RAN right into the screen
(bent the frame and everything). Of course, I had my best friends to get me through it. They must have laughed for at least 30 minutes... :)

4. My sweet Father safety proofing, fire proofing, and Caroline proofing my entire apartment. One particular memory was Daddy wanting to put an extra latch on my door on top of the two dead bolts already in place. Mom and I both voiced the fact that we thought that the landlord might frown upon any drills being drilled into the wooden door frame and that two deadbolts ought to do it. But 30 minutes later, the drill was going, and now I lock that third latch as if my life depended on it. :)

5. That same sweet Daddy hugging me goodbye. We got a little choked up, said our goodbyes, he gave me the escape route for any natural disaster I should ever come across in Nashville, we finally felt ready to part :), and then we accidentallylocked his keys in his truck.

No comments: