Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Be Careful What You Ask For

Well, the Lord indeed answers prayers. I had a relatively normal day. -Work, got home, exercised, and then went to girls Bible study, which has been a wonderful blessing. After the Bible study I was headed over to Holly's to go walking and I casually prayed, "Lord, I don't know what I need to write on my website today so let me know what I should write about." Holly and I had been walking about 40 minutes at her complex and I heard my car alarm go off. So we headed back up to see what was going on and my car was gone. Of course, we went through the whole panic mode (okay, I went throught the whole panic mode- Holly was the steady calm hand beside me) and got the police on the phone, called Daddy, etc. I am reporting the incident when Holly calls the apartment complex and finds out it has been towed. Officer Joe informed her of this information, very excited to report his small part in fighting crime tonight by having my car towed because it was parked "6 feet from the curb." (It couldn't have been there more than 45 minutes, and regardless of what he says, was NOT blocking the 30 foot wide enterance to the complex.) Seriously, policeman exaggerate more than fisherman. All that aside, we were just relieved and thankful that it wasn't stolen.

You would think the story ends there, but oh no, the experience has just begun. She called the tow place and of course it was listed wrong in the phone book and information didn't have the number so we had to call our friend Officer Joe again. So we find out that they are open and where they are located (in the ghetto) and that it's not going to cost nearly what we expected, and then we collapsed on the couch in relief that it wasn't stolen as we waited for TJ to get home to go with us. And like any good friend, she got me a Dr. Pepper and an Oatmeal Cream Pie to relieve the tension and to contradict the walk we just went on. :)

In the mean time, I decide to take a shot in the dark and call my car insurance, which offers free towing, to see if they would cover it. (Sounds silly, but you NEVER know). They informed me that no, they did not cover your car being towed for a mistake in parking, but only if I have a break down. Can't hurt for asking.

We got to the tow place in the ghetto and walked in to a small room/office. The place was pretty shady. They asked for a liscence and I told them it was in the car, so they said we would have to go around back where my car was. I gave TJ a look that informed him that he would be accompaning me to the "back." The man unlocked the gate for me and told TJ that I had to go down into the lot to my car by myself. As I was walking down into this big, shady lot with several cars, he yelled very seriously, "DON'T WORRY! THERE AIN'T NOTHING DOWN THERE THAT WILL BITE YA, JUST A COW THAT LIKES TO ROAM AROUND!" So we ended up getting my car and when I was paying, I noticed the man was only using his left hand and was obviously right handed and his right arm was completely paralyzed. He informed me that "they said I had a stroke Sunday night, but I think I just got a pinched nerve from laying in that recliner right there." But it all worked out, my car wasn't stolen, and I refuse to complain about something when the Lord took care of me.

So the moral of this story:
1. Be careful what you ask for. The Lord may want to give you a more creative story than you intended. :)
2. Watch out for the roaming cattle.
3. Watch out for those recliners. They can give you a pinched nerve if you aren't careful.

God Bless... Caroline

No comments: