Friday, August 13, 2004

Funny faces

Story of the day: I am seeing this little lady for therapy. (The same one that I tried to coax into doing therapy by praying with her and then getting onto her for talking during the prayer... She has come along way and I believe it is all because of that special prayer we had :)... I was doing some oral motor exercises to increase the strength, coordination, and range of motion of the muscles used for swallowing. Okay, that's the fancy terminology. Basically, we just make funny faces for 30 minutes... Stick your tongue out, pucker up (one 60 year old man leaned in for a kiss today- I think he misinterpreted the purpose of this exercise), smile big, make an "o" with your lips, open your mouth wide, etc... The other nursing home tech's always walk by and look at me as if I have lost my ever loving mind.

But back to this little lady... I told her to stick her tongue out. She looked at me astonished and said, "No!" I said, "Please stick your tongue out at me sweetie." And she said, "Why would I stick my tongue out at you? You haven't done anything to me." Ah... The logic of a 90 year old.

No comments: