Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Challenges!

Today was a good day, but there was a small challange that I faced. With my job, I have to tell people they can't eat or drink things they have been drinking their whole life because of swallowing issues. It's hard, but it's for the patient's best interest so they don't get pneumonia and die... It's not because I wake up with a vandetta every morning. And sometimes, the families just view you as Satan Reincarnated. Today was one of those situations. This family was a piece of work: The husband and wife were tag-teaming to hollar at me, laugh to my face when I told them that I was trained in to help them, laugh at each other's joke when one insulted me, telling me to get out of the room and not come back, telling me that I had made their life miserable (after knowing them for 10 minutes tops), not listening to a word I had to say. Even when another professional came in they did not respect me. It is so hard to shine your light when that happens. And even when I am honest, blunt, and have "come to Jesus meetings," it doesn't always resolve. I was just trying to do my job and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. So this challanged me in two ways: I am going to try to be more understanding of where they are coming from as hard as that is, and I am going to start respecting people's jobs when I am a customer or patient. I may not understand why they are doing what they are doing, but they at least know more about it than you do. Because now that I am on the receving end of that, I realize how heart breaking it is. You honestly know that you are doing the right thing and that you are looking out for their best, but that's the last thing they saw me as. A little disheartening, but it builds character.

No comments: