Thursday, June 17, 2010

Therapy Day 19: Auntie Ed

Today, we had a big task ahead. One that frankly, I have been dreading since we arrived. We had to complete "Auntie Ed." I mean, it's great that we have come over, but what really matters is if the Aunties are able to continue once we leave. Enter the cultural barriers. Zambians don't interact with their babies a whole lot. It is not in their culture to sing, talk, or play with their kids. And if it was, these Aunties each have about 6 kids in their care so just getting diapers fed, bottles out, baths, and repeat is a lot. We had to think VERY carefully about what battles we wanted to choose. These were what we decided on...

1. Encouraging them to allow opportunities for the babies to be up and play more so they can reach their developmental milestones. The ones we decided to focus on included: social smile, reach for toys, babbling, holding head up, holding head up in tummy time, rolling, sit up independently, and sucking on the pacifier. We accomplished this by making a little flower or sunshine on the computer, and each petal or sun ray stated one of the above. If they can do said task, the aunties check it off or color it.

2. Encouraging them to interact as much as possible. We did this by putting a sheet on the wall at each changing station that stated the following...
When you change me... Smile at me, rub my cheeks, pat my belly, sing to me, talk to me!
When I am changed... Sit me up, Give me a toy, Put me by my friends!

3. Feeding tips included... Prop the baby up while feeding and Check the nipple flow before giving a bottle to a baby. The babies usually lay flat on their backs while eating, and so last year the group encouraged the use of pillows to elevate the babies heads to decrease ear infections and increase swallowing safely. This was still in place this year in some Havens, and in other Havens it was not. Also, their are some of the nipples that are so used that the liquid flows out in a steady stream. This is way to fast for the babies and it doesn't encourage them to suck.

Our little pow wow with the Aunties in Haven 1 went surprisingly well! Some of our team overheard the Aunties say, "Look at all these things I can do to help my babies!" The Haven 3 Aunties listened and payed attention, but these Aunties are a little more shy so I wasn't sure how much it helped. BUT when we came back in the afternoon, we saw this... Babies up! Aunties interacting! YEAH!

I had to show you the difference in Bennett's skin from week 1 to present. I mean, how much better does he look!!!! Doesn't he have the most beautiful complexion?




I couldn't resist taking a picture in the little outfit that he sleeps in. It covers him completely so he won't scratch.


And if anyone has any advice on how to say goodbye to this little guy tommorow, please let me know, because I am fresh out of ideas.


1 comment:

SpeasHill said...

Even John gave a big "awwww" at Bennett's pajamas. And about little C. man....there's a song...from Les Mis...that will answer your question. ;) I'll be thinking about you as you bid all your itty bitty pretties goodbye!