Have I told you about my dear friend Leonard? Leonard is our cook extraordinaire. He is a jack of all trades, and he has perfected Western Cuisine. Our weekly menus look something like this...
Breakfast: Biscuits and gravy, pancakes, eggs, French toast, homemade cinnamon rolls, oatmeal Not that I can eat any of that but it sure smells good!
Lunches (the big meal): Chicken and rice casserole, chicken spaghetti, enchiladas, tacos (something I can eat!), fried chicken, meatloaf, pizza, cornflake chicken, taco soup, etc. And those are just the main courses. We always have great sides like mashed potatoes, green beans, fresh tomatoes (my prostate should be in great health by the time we leave here :), salad, cabbage slaw the way I like it (oil/vinegar based, not mayo based), and fresh baked bread.
Dinners: Tuna, grilled cheese, sloppy joes, spaghetti, bieroks, baked potatoes, etc.
And each meal comes with a great dessert and some kind of fabulous punch. The only reason I have not gained 100 lbs is because I can’t eat 90% of what I just mentioned.
My biggest concern of coming on this trip was my gluten issues. I was afraid that a) I was going to be misunderstood as being rude and ungrateful of the food they have worked so hard to prepare or b) people would make a big deal of it and it would be really embarrassing. I manage it so smoothly now that I can easily modify meals without it being a big deal but you never know when people are going to call way too much attention to your meal because it’s different than theirs. That can be so so so so awkward and unnecessary, and it tempts me just to eat the gluten so people won’t stare at me while I am eating or ask me 40 questions about my meal. Thankfully this group has been very supportive and cool about it. No awkwardness whatsoever.
They are also great about not yelling at me or treating me like a child should I decide to eat a piece of gluten-filled chocolate cake. My dietitian and I decided that every once in a while, I need to allow myself something with gluten. Otherwise, it is very triggering of my history with eating issues. But you would just be shocked at how many people make such a big deal out of it, like I am not realizing that the oreo I am putting in my mouth has gluten in it and yell across the room in the middle of a social gathering to stop me. “CAROLINE! That has gluten in it!” REALLY? Not cool.
But Leonard, he has been my true angel. He doesn’t make a big deal of it, which I am SO appreciative of. He just lets me sneak in the kitchen and “tweak” my meals or put away leftovers from lunch if I know I can’t eat what he’s preparing for dinner. He even answers my questions regarding what’s in something and shows me the seasonings and packages he uses so I can read ingredients. And he makes me feel special because he prefaces all of the food I eat with the word “special.” “Ah, I see you have your special bread.” “Do you want me to make a pizza with your special crust?” The other morning he greeted me by saying, “Hello! And how is your special pancake this morning?” His mantra is “Nooo problem.”
I wanted to take a minute and give tips to anyone with gluten issues. I know several of you check in here. Don’t let it limit you from traveling! You can always make due!
•Do research before you go! I talked to some group members from last year and found out that we would have our own oven and fridge in our house. This really broadened my options.
•Find out what you can buy there. I have been able to but fruits, veggies, eggs, dried beans, and chips here to stretch my food.
•LOAD UP! I brought this huge Tupperware full of the following: GF crackers, GF pretzels, my own peanut butter (the group jar has crumbs all in it), nuts, GF oatmeal, tuna packs (WHICH I got on sale for 30 cents each), dove chocolates (take some sweets so you won’t feel neglected and therefore be tempted to eat the cake), a big bag of Pamela’s GF Pancake mix, homemade trail mix, GF Mac and Cheese, Corn Tortillas, and “special” bread.
•If it is appropriate, find out the menu. When I first got here, I met Leonard and spent some time with him. Once I felt comfortable with him, I pulled him aside and quietly explained my situation. This helped me to ensure that he would not be offensive if I brought something different if I was allergic to what he was serving. This is when he offered to show me the menu so that I could come prepared to each meal.
•Don’t be “that girl.” The last thing I ever want to be is “that group member” who expects the world to bow to you because you have a special eating issue. That’s why I HATE IT when people make a big deal about it. Sometimes you may end up eating a weird meal but that’s cool (like the night I had corn tortillas with sloppy joes in them or spaghetti sauce on pizza crust). Don’t expect special treatment. And choose your battles. If you CAN eat what they are serving but it’s not your favorite, suck it up and eat it anyway. Be thankful.
•Take enough protein. I underestimated the amount of protein servings I would need. My sister Allison had to send over some reinforcements with another group member. Make sure you have plenty of things that can get you through and sustain you so you aren’t walking around with low blood sugar feeling sorry for yourself.
•Make sure the cook knows how much they are appreciated, even if you can't eat one thing that they cook. Also, when we go out into the community, I let them fill my plate with whatever and then I just eat what I can and discreetly dispose of the rest or share with a friend. Typically you can find someone who wants your extra cookie. :) Tonight I ate all of the filling out of my pie, leaving the crust. Catherine then asked "Can I have your gluten?"
Leonard and I have a special bond now, and I think he knows how much he is appreciated. He even told me before anyone else that we are invited to his church in the bush tomorrow morning! So excited! I am sure I will have much to share on this tomorrow.
1 comment:
Thanks for this post - it was really interesting to this gluten addict! And please tell me Leonard found a way to make you a special birthday cake or at least something he could write "happy birthday cake" on!
Post a Comment