Thursday, June 17, 2010

Therapy Day 18: What a Birthday!

So today was my birthday! And not just any birthday... I am officially middle age- in my 30s. Okay, so that's not middle age and I don't have an age complex, but it does feel REALLY weird to say that I am an age that doesn't begin with a 2. I would write a post to reflect on my twenties, but I really don't want to and let's be honest- you don't want to read that. I will just say that I am grateful for everyday I am blessed with, and am humbled at the blessings in my life. Here's how my day went down Zambia style:

-Woke up this morning to pink streamers duct taped to my door.

-Got several "HAPPY Birthdays!" as people woke up.

-Made myself my favorite breakfast- scrambled eggs, toast, salsa, and ham.

-Went to the Haven and supervised the grad girls in their individual feeding sessions. All did very well, b.t. dubs.

-Was threatened that I may be treated with Zambian Birthday traditions. A.k.a. people throw water on you all day if it's your birthday. I gave a few looks that indicated this was not necessary... :)

-Came back for lunch and had my favorite... MEXICAN! Tacos, rice, cheese, etc.

-Went back to the Haven and worked on signs for the Haven. Let me rephrase that. I told the girls what my jumbled mind was thinking, and they made some adorable signs. At one point, I went and helped change and love the babies after their bath time.

-Came back and did a power Zumba with some of the faithful workout-ers.

-Went to dinner, where I was presented with a lovely cake. I had brought a Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix and they made it for me with powdered sugar on top. YUMMY. B.Weave proclaimed no one except me was allowed to eat it. I did share though. I mean I am 30, so I figured they expected some maturity out of me. (But let's not go overboard).

-When I went to cut said cake, I naturally cut my favorite piece- the middle. Everyone thought that was hilarious, but they all wrote it off to "It's her birthday, she can do what she wants! I just smiled and nodded, because they don't know me well enough if they don't think I would do that on a normal day...

-We had movie night, complete with rotel and homemade tortilla chips. The girls made special corn chips for me.

-After which I went home for a "nap" at 8 p.m. because I had a special skype date (chat)with my girl Fulby at 11:30 my time.

Thank you so much to all of the team who made this day special and memorable! And your sweet blogposts dedicated to me were so touching! Thank you!!!!

Enduring the awkward "act normal while everyone stares at you and sings" moment. Just kidding... I live for these moments. :)

Here I am enjoying my piece of cake from the middle. I am very excited.

3 comments:

allison webb said...

so glad you had a great and memorable birthday! I hope that this is the start to a GREAT new decade for you. love you friend!

SpeasHill said...

I eat the middle first. And this is why we are friends.

30 hasn't been too bad to me! Hope it's wonderful for you!

Donna Root said...

Happy Birthday, Caroline. Although, by the time you read this, technically it won't be your birthday any more. So "Happy Belated Birthday"!!! :)

I have loved following your adventures. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us blog readers.