Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Get WHAT????

I have some more stories from my one of my all time favorite patients. She was completely with it and lived in Assisted Living. She passed away this past spring. I worked with her twice a week for a good 2 years. She had Bells Palsy, and her facial muscles would become abnormally tight because of damage to the nerve impulses necessary that keep the muscles not to tight, not to loose. Because of this, her lips would become so tight that it effected her speech sounds that require the lips to come together (b,m,p). She would come twice a week, I would stretch her facial muscles, and that would keep her speech normal.

She had a great attitude about life, very relaxed and laid back. And to top it off, she had the BEST old southern Nashville accent (think Gone With the Wind). One time, a friend of hers passed away. She called the florist and sent flowers to the family from "Betsy Baker" (not her real name). Except because of her speech, they signed the card from Vetsy Vaker. It was really funny. She thought this was hillarious.

One of my favorite stories is this... Our Occupational Therapist, Heather, walked into her room to do therapy. Mrs. "Baker" looked tired.
Heather: "Hey, Mrs. Baker, how are you?"
Mrs. B: "Honey, I am not doing well."
H: "Why?"
Mrs. B:"I got crunk last night."
H, after busting out laughing: "WHAT?"
Mrs. B: "Yes, honey, I had some medicine and it didn't set well with me and I was crunk."
H: "Mrs. B, where did you hear the word "crunk?"
Mrs. B: "There was a article in the paper yesterday about current vocabulary that people are using and thought I would give it a try. Is that right?"

For those of you who don't know the word "Crunk," it's a slang word that's in all the ghetto rap songs. It means "crazy drunk."
Mrs. Baker:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! That's hilarious!