Sunday, November 02, 2008

A Dominican Story

About two years ago, I led the first Otter Creek Church group over to the Dominican Republic. It was an amazing trip. Recently, some friends and I were remembering stories that took place, when this one came up...

We climbed this HUGE HUGE mountain to spend a day with some rural villages who were very isolated and had little outside contact. Half way up the mountain (about 2.5 hours was half way), we were exhausted and stopped at this little house for rest and lunch. My friend and I had to go to the bathroom. Bad. We made our way to their little outhouse behind the house, and she went in first. When she went it, she squealed and said, "This is a 2 seater!" So, in two girl fashion, we had to experience using a 2 seater in a 3rd world country outhouse. We were sitting there, when all of the sudden, she said, "OH! What was that..." and I said, "Oh!" and we both screamed, "FIRE ANTS!!!!"

Yes, that's right. Fire ants were attacking the south. She jumped up, pulled her pants up, and ran out of the outhouse. I just jumped up and ran. So, at this point, we are outside of the outhouse, screaming, on fire. Except one thing, I still have not pulled my pants up. The Dominican ladies of the house ran around the corner, and then just watched us in amazement, laughing. We were getting tickled, but then would get rebitten and scream out again. It was very comical. The icing on the cake was when we looked up the huge hill behind the house, and our goofy friend Breton who was way up the hill, was standing there, waving at us.

No comments: