Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why Africa?

I cannot wait to upload pictures, but our Internet connection is delicate right now. Iknow blogs can be flat without pics, so please be patient with me! Today is Thursday. I am blogging at 4:30 in the afternoon, which is 9:30 a.m. Nashville time. We are using this week to acclimate. Yesterday we arrived at the camp where we are staying. We got to go see the babies at the Haven. Wow. Can I just say I may be coming home with a little kiddo? There are a lot of kiddos w/ HIV or TB, and there is definitely a need for feeding/swallow therapy. Especially for the ones who are transitioning from bottle to solids. A lot of them have difficulty with this. Which brings me to my next point...

Many people have asked me... Why are you going to Africa? Here are the highlights...

Who: The team consists of 12 peeps, and the trips is through my Alma mater, Harding. The breakdown of the team is: 2 professors, 2 practicing Speech Language Pathologists (let's just cut that down to SLPs from here on out) including myself, 7 SLP Graduate students, and a 12 year old (the son of a professor).

What: We are providing language and feeding therapy to the kiddos birth-age 3 who live in the Haven. The Haven is a children's home for babies under 3 years. They stay there to be taken care of while their parents get back on their feet. Many have health issues as well and need special attention. There are several HIV exposed kiddos.

When: We left Sunday, May 16th. We aill be getting back on Friday, June 25th. Which b-t-dubs I found that date out the day we left. I thought we were getting back on the 23rd. I am gonna be so fun at work that Monday morning! :)

Where: Zambia, of course. More specifically, we are staying at the Namwianga mission. We are staying in the houses that are set up for the H.U. study abroad program that takes place every fall. The 10 ladies have a house that we share with several rooms. I am rooming with Marja, the other SLP. She and I insisted on the room without bunk beds. :) Seniority has to count for SOMETHING. We are being fed by Leonard, the amazing chef. Most people have said, "oh it should be pretty easy to eat gluten free in Africa." Not so much. Our first 3 meals here have been fried chicken, french toast, and pizza. Luckily I brought my own stash. If only that stash would arrive in my missing luggage...

Why: I specifically was asked to come because of my experience in pediatric feeding and swallowing.
Wait, I thought you worked with dirty old men. Well, I do sometimes. But I am a CONTRACT therapist, which means that even though I have worked for the same company over the past 6 years, I have had the privilege to work in a variety of settings including nursing homes, schools, hospitals, clinics, etc. I am currently in an outpatient clinic where I am serving as the pediatric feeding/swallowing specialist. Dysphagia is the medical term for any disorder of swallowing. I will be posting soon to explain pediatric dysphagia and what a SPEECH therapist has to do with it. The kiddos here have a lot of issues that effect their swallowing, and since they are in remote Africa, it can be life threatening if they cannot thrive on their own.

That's it for now. Please check back for my explanation on feeding therapy!

P.S. Good news, as I was just about to post this I heard that our luggage has arrived!!!!

4 comments:

KTL said...

Sounds exciting! I love all the details, keep 'em coming! Have a great time!

SpeasHill said...

Glad the luggage found you. But I've got to ask, if you are a feeding specialist, why is the chef feeding you? Shouldn't you be able to feed yourself?

I know, you miss me terribly. Admit it.

Donna Root said...

Thanks so much for the update. Keep it coming. I am so interested in what you are doing and am so thrilled you are using your skills to help these little ones. God bless your work and I look forward to hearing more.

Caroline said...

I DO miss you Nancy! Hillarious!
Keep the comments coming. I need them!