Saturday, May 22, 2010

Zumba in Zambia

In addition to being a clinical supervisor in Zambia, the girls have now made me the official Zumba teacher. That's right, Zumba. I use exercise as a release of stress and the daily grind back home, and I knew that I would definitely need to keep that up in Zambia. The first night at the mission, the girls (grad students) caught me in the storage closet with no lights (couldn't find the switch) using my ipod for a workout, and they promptly scolded me for not including them. I explained that I was awkward. I explained that I usually stand in the back of the class. I explained that I didn't remember all of the moves. But 5 minutes later, there we were, in the living room for all to see, shaking our tail feathers. Now I have been told I am teaching it at least 3 times a week... Oh, my! B. Weave just sits back and giggles at our white girl moves, but we all sweat like a teenage boy and feel so much more relaxed afterwards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Melanie! I am reading all of your blogs each evening but for some reason can't post on anyone's but yours. I would love to be a "fly on the wall" for this Zumba class, but assume they've all been eaten by the spiders on the wall that I saw on Rachel's blog. That picture was enough to keep me right here in America! It sounds like you're having a wonderful time and loving lots on those babies. You and are all in my prayers daily; may God richly bless each of you personally and the work that you are doing there in His name. Say "HI" to everyone for me!!

SpeasHill said...

So...I went to my first Zumba class the other day (when I thought we had therapy - Nancy strikes again!), and I was, um, beyond awkward. Words can't describe it. Maybe if you're nice when you get home, I'll show you. Just save it for a day when you are sad...it will light you up like the love of Jesus! (Did I really just say that?)

Jennifer Thompson said...

Have I ever told you how much I just love you? :)

The Normans! said...

What- no amusing Zumba pictures?!? ;o)