Monday, June 27, 2005

YMCA

I am so excited! I finally joined the YMCA. I have been a gym junkie over the past 6-8 years, and I have been a member of gym forever. When I moved here, my apartment had a small room with equipment and I couldn't really justify joining a gym when I had one for free. So I held out. And I have been out of the apartment for a month, but it has been pretty so I have been walking the hills at the ag center (yikes) and lifting weights here, as between the three of us we have a complete set of barbells, 3 exercise balls, some Pilates tapes, and other contraptions I have not quite figured out. But Friday I was walking outside at Radnor Lake and the humidity has just reached ridiculous, which makes me want to only walk 30 minutes instead of my normal 45-60 minutes, and I REALLY miss the Eliptical Trainer (I can't run because of my old knees- 3 knee surgeries). So after finishing at Radnor I drove over to the Maryland Farms YMCA and joined. MAN! That thing is a megaplex. I am in gym heaven. I LOVE exercising b/c it is a stress relief for me. This gym has so much. Now for you Nashville natives it isn't a big deal to you, but remember I am from small town Arkansas (which has a good gym for the size town), so this blog is more for my Searcy friends. They will be impressed. This thing has of course all the equipment you can imagine. There is a big room with all the weights and endless rows of cardio equipment, with a section called the "lighter side" for more women's size weights. Then there is the personal trainer studio and the group fitness studio and the spinning room with all the bikes, and the huge daycare center. Then there is a women's room that is set up like Curves, so you can do Curves at the Y. Then there is a huge pool, indoor and outdoor with a sundeck and refreshment stand (much bigger than the Searcy pool). Then there's a huge tennis section, but that really doesn't matter to me much since my hand-eye coordination is nonexistent.

Then there is my favorite part, something I think might make my sister seriously contemplate moving to Nashville. This is the cinema room. This room is a smaller room with 8 treadmills and 5 or 6 elipticals on the first level, then up a level is about 10 bikes. There is also a stetching area with a ball and a few weights. This room is dark, and they have a big screen on the wall and they show movies. Currently showing is Wimbledon, Little Black Book, and Bend it like Beckman- all movies easy to follow and I have seen them all so I can come in and out of them easily. I get on that Eliptical and kill an hour without even realizing it. And it is dark and cool and quite. I love it! That's the only room I have done cardio in thus far, and it will probably stay that way. Allison, you should suggest a cinema room to David and Beverly for Healthcorp!

1 comment:

amanda said...

hey, anytime you want to walk at radnor after work call me! i go there often! and anytime you want to wake up at the insane hour of 6am on tues/thurs and do spinning class at maryland farms Y, then call me. so far i've only done spin class there one morning b/c i keep oversleeping, but it's quite refreshing!