Sunday, June 19, 2005

Dear Mr. Trashman...

When we moved into the house, there was a big brush pile in our back yard. Last week, our landlord's son came and cleaned it all out for us. However, he filled our huge city of Nashville trashcan with twigs so there was no place to put our trash. Now, for you Searcy kids, this is something totally new to me. Apparently there are rules and regulations to trash. Maybe they have those in Searcy, but we live outside city limits there. In Nashville, you have one big city brown trashcan for trash that you leave at your driveway every Thursday morning. Then you have one big green trashcan for recycling. On top of these, the people before us left this nasty generic trash can full of stuff that has been there for a WHILE, and 2 other generic trashcans that would not be acceptable by the city trash people.

So the night before our trashday, I realized we're going on a month of living here and I hadn't gotten the trash together yet. So I went out to wheel it up. I realized our brown trash can was full of twigs and we had filled the recycle trash can full of our trash, which smelled FRESH. This is the night before my Birthday and we are having a bunch of people over the next day. So it is imperitive this trash is not there the next day. So I wheeled up the big brown trash can and parked it on the hill, hoping it wouldn't roll back down and take me out. Then I wheeled the green recycle one. Then with high hopes, I rolled the little nasty generic trashcan with trash from who knows how long ago. That trash can fell and leaked trash juice all over my hands, and I couldn't wash the smell off to save my life. GROSS! At this point there are three trash cans on our hill of a driveway, and I just knew they were all gonna go tumbling down our driveway, but we were spared.

So all that major setup in this story to say, I was desperate for the trash to be picked up. So on Thursday, my Birthday, I got up to walk, and I decided to leave a note of explanation, which I taped on the lid of the trashcan. Tiara laughed at me, but I am a small town girl and I really don't know how these things work, so I wanted to sweet talk them up. It said the following:

Dear Mr. Trashman:

Hi! Our landlord filled our brown trashcan with sticks and we had nowhere to put our trash! Could you please empty the green recycle trashcan as well? Also, could you just take that small green one? It was here full of trash when we moved in. Thank you so much! We promise not to be trouble in the future!

And I am proud to report, it worked. :)

1 comment:

amanda said...

that was a very nice letter! I'm sure mr. trashman held onto it and it's on the happy customers bulletin board at the public works precinct!