Thursday, January 06, 2005

Hospital update

Well, I just finished my first two days at the hospital. It is a small hospital, and everyone is so helpful. I walked in on Thursday, and they said, "You're first patient will be here in 15 minutes" and they handed me his chart. I started looking at his goals and thought, hmmm... this doesn't sound like goals for a 70+ year old. So I checked the DOB and yup, he's 2. Now mind you, I know I have worked with kids all my life, but I have been in geriatric Speech Path mode for, what, 7 months now? Thankfully the Lord reminded me quickly, but I definetly am going to have to rebuild my stamina (energy wise) for working with kiddos!

Can I tell you, sometimes you don't realize how heavy certain situations weigh on you until you are removed from them? I have felt such peace and relief know that I am done with the nursing home I was in for the past 7 months. Praise God for the lessons he taught me, but they weren't easy ones. When you work in a place controlled by a national company with "coorperate" standards," supervisors forget that you are, in fact, people, and they forget to treat you that way (mainly b/c they are treated that way). All this to say, I just didn't realize what a RELIEF I would feel when I left there. I made some good friends, and I obviously needed to be there, so I don't want to put on a pity party. But PRAISE God that he knew it was time to move on. I feel such relief and peace now. I work at that wonderful nursing home right by my apartment in the morning and the hospital in the afternoon, and both places respect me professionally and personally and it shows. And the peace I feel within both places is amazing. God's timing is always perfect. Though I prayed and plead the past 7 months for him to remove me, he waited until it was right. They were replacing me right when this hospital dropped in their laps, and I was available to take it. I just need to post this so that next time I am questioning the way God is working, it will remind me that he always has a reason.

No comments: