Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Just Keeping It Real

Guess what one of my favorite meals is? It's very fancy and complicated and frankly, I don't know if you can handle it.

That's right, folks. I am a great cook and I can really dish it up. But some nights nothing beats a PBJ with my favorite fixings. I was more excited for this dinner than my fancy Irish beef stew yesterday. Here's a confession... I get way more excited about my sides than the actual main course. I have found the less ingredients used, the more refreshing they are. Here are three tips for some quick and easy sides that go with PBJ or Fillet Mignon. Keep them in mind this holiday season when you need a break from all the rich holiday decadency.

1. Steamed veggies. Sounds obvious, but I think Americans forget this option a lot. I have had some amazing squash casseroles, but sometimes simple is refreshing. Especially this time of year when we load our veggies "festive" by adding a pound of cheese creamy soups, crunchy onion things, or water chestnuts (ick). Now don't get me wrong. I can put DOWN some broccoli salad. But I LOVE simple veggies, so much that I rarely eat a lunch or dinner without one or two of them present. For a recent gathering I recently steamed broccoli, added a pat of butter, and sprinkled it with a little salt. My friend asked me for the recipe. I think sometimes our taste buds crave simplicity.

2. Alexia (brand) Sweet Potato Fries. Fabulous. Would it be cheaper to make them myself? Yes. Better? Never. These are perfect... crunchy, sweet, salty, ahhh. And lately I have developed a bad habit... dipping my sweet potato fries in mayo. This made me feel like a sloppy hick. So now I use olive oil based mayo, add garlic powder, and call it aioli. I now feel empowered, cultured, and educated.

3. Take Raw Spinach. Put in a bowl. Add craisens and feta. Top with Kraft Greek Vinaigrette. Edamame and pecans are optional. Your taste buds will go wild.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Luke's stocking by the way! Perfect!