I LOVE our family stockings. Love them. They are so homey and sweet. The original four were sewed feverishly by my Great Grandmother Moto, Aunt Elizabeth, and Grandmother. When I was four, our house burned to the ground the first week of December. But the amazing thing is, I have no sad memories of this time. I just remember being showered with more than we could ever need and surrounded by people who loved us. And our dear family sewed up a frenzy to make sure we had stockings. Since then we have added a few to the count, and a few have returned to us as well...
Dad's is shaped like a boot. My mom's is sweet and delicate velvet.
And when they made mine, they thought angels, naturally. Nanga's used to be a plain red stocking. We couldn't have this. So I made a snowman and spiced it up a bit. Isn't it cute? Yea, I was at least 20 when I made that. My art skills stopped developing around the age 6.

Allison's was Strawberry Shortcake as this was her home girl during that time period. When Jon came along (after the snowman), we started buying pre-decorated stockings. But I sewed on his sequence. :)
Add kids, and it just gets even more fun!
It's always exciting when we get to add a new stocking!!!
Bad lighting, but I sewed his name on during the Razorback game.

And this year we had the stocking of my Grandpa (who passed in June) and my sweet Grandma Bennett (who is still in Oklahoma).

Wondering why we frame a window with our stockings?

Because my hippy parents don't have a fire place, of course. :) I LOVE our pot belly stove.

No comments:
Post a Comment