Just when I think no one really reads this blog, people stop me and say "I read your blog and tried that recipe" or "I read that funny work story on your blog." And then I pick right back up. But seriously, leaving a comment now and then never hurt anyone... :)
Lately I have been on a recipe posting kick. I have been making my own cookbook for almost a year now, and it is a work in progress. So in the mean time I have been I kind of use this as my own recipe book. Hence, the many recipes. I also think it has something to do with the fact that for so long, I just stuck with my basic gf foods b/c they were easy. Now that I am finding better ingredients (e.g Jules GF Flour) and now that my whole family is GF, I have been exploring recipes I have not used since I was diagnosed. It's very exiting!
My good friend Melody came over tonight for a girls night where we enjoyed our old lady crafts (me working on my cooking and her knitting). Anyway I wanted to retry this soup on this cold night. I did, and it was splendid. My friend Holly made a similar soup recipe for me several years ago. We both really liked it, but both agreed it was SO heavy because it contained butter, milk, and full fat cheddar. Especially not great on this little lactose-intolerant stomach. So I tweaked it, and I love it.
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (I use 2% cheddar so it's not too greasy or heavy)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer
3/4 cup flour (Jules GF works if necessary)
1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
Skim milk
In a large saucepan over medium high, heat broth. Stir in flour and mustard. Reduce to medium until slightly thickened and warm. When hot, begin to stir in Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan, a little at a time. Alternate with the beer until all is fully incorporated and melted. Simmer until warm. Do not let it get too hot and stir often. Now here are some "if this happens, then do this..."
-If it is too thick at the end, thin out with a little skim milk to your desired consistency.
-If it gets too thin, don't sweat it. Just add a little more flour.
-I added the flour too quickly and it didn't all dissolve so I ran it through my food processor to smooth it out. I really liked the texture.
-If you have no dried mustard, just squirt some regular in there. Works just fine.
-If you are GF, I like Redbridge beer. You can get it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. And if you are a Nashville person, they serve it at 12 South Taproom. Yea!
-If it needs more flavor, add salt and garlic.
I love serving this more like a fondue with Granny Smith Apples and tortilla chips. The sweet, salty, savory combo is delish. Pretzels and crusty bread are great as well. If you can eat gluten, serve it in a bread bowl. It's filling but not too heavy. Enjoy nibbling over a long conversation with a friend.
Lately I have been on a recipe posting kick. I have been making my own cookbook for almost a year now, and it is a work in progress. So in the mean time I have been I kind of use this as my own recipe book. Hence, the many recipes. I also think it has something to do with the fact that for so long, I just stuck with my basic gf foods b/c they were easy. Now that I am finding better ingredients (e.g Jules GF Flour) and now that my whole family is GF, I have been exploring recipes I have not used since I was diagnosed. It's very exiting!
My good friend Melody came over tonight for a girls night where we enjoyed our old lady crafts (me working on my cooking and her knitting). Anyway I wanted to retry this soup on this cold night. I did, and it was splendid. My friend Holly made a similar soup recipe for me several years ago. We both really liked it, but both agreed it was SO heavy because it contained butter, milk, and full fat cheddar. Especially not great on this little lactose-intolerant stomach. So I tweaked it, and I love it.
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (I use 2% cheddar so it's not too greasy or heavy)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer
3/4 cup flour (Jules GF works if necessary)
1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
Skim milk
In a large saucepan over medium high, heat broth. Stir in flour and mustard. Reduce to medium until slightly thickened and warm. When hot, begin to stir in Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan, a little at a time. Alternate with the beer until all is fully incorporated and melted. Simmer until warm. Do not let it get too hot and stir often. Now here are some "if this happens, then do this..."
-If it is too thick at the end, thin out with a little skim milk to your desired consistency.
-If it gets too thin, don't sweat it. Just add a little more flour.
-I added the flour too quickly and it didn't all dissolve so I ran it through my food processor to smooth it out. I really liked the texture.
-If you have no dried mustard, just squirt some regular in there. Works just fine.
-If you are GF, I like Redbridge beer. You can get it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. And if you are a Nashville person, they serve it at 12 South Taproom. Yea!
-If it needs more flavor, add salt and garlic.
I love serving this more like a fondue with Granny Smith Apples and tortilla chips. The sweet, salty, savory combo is delish. Pretzels and crusty bread are great as well. If you can eat gluten, serve it in a bread bowl. It's filling but not too heavy. Enjoy nibbling over a long conversation with a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment