Now listen, I am an Arkansan raised by two practical Mid-Westerners. We don't get fancy with nuts and dried fruit and chopped eggs and junk like that. I just like my dressing straight up with no crazy surprises. So there.
Martin Family Thanksgiving Dressing
1 cup butter, divided
3 cups white cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used Jules GF Flour Blend)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1& 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
7 large eggs, divided
3 cups buttermilk (or soy with a little vinegar)
3 cups soft breadcrumbs (see below)
2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
1 large bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
6 (10 1/2- ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
1 tablespoon pepper
Directions:
Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13 x 9 inch pan, heat in oven at 425 for 4 minutes. Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk. Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in bread crumbs, and set aside.
Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Stir in sage and saute 1 more minute. Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture; pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish AND 1 lightly greased 8 inch square baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown & bubbly.
Tips from my sister, the pro...
■Pay attention to the ounces size of the chicken broth cans you buy because most are sold in 14 ounce cans. This can be a very soupy problem, like ladling cups of extra liquid off the top!
■ If you don't like the taste of sage, you could substitute poultry seasoning in the same amount; I've tried it both ways, and I can't taste a difference.
■You gotta use buttermilk, not regular milk. If you are dairy free, add a little vinegar to soy milk and you'll be fine. Earth Balance also works fine for Dairy Free people.
■You gotta chill it for 8 hours or overnight like it says, it lets everything mix together and taste yummy.
■ Use real eggs, not Egg Beaters.
My allergy friendly tips...
-For GFers, since it is a special occasion, I make the bread from scratch. Delish! This recipe works great and makes good toast the morning of... It is lighter and less dense than most store bought gf bread. http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/finally-really-good-sandwich-bread/
-I grate the breadcrumbs in my food processor to make them very fine. I don't like chunks of bread in my dressing, but that's me.
-If you are dairy free, add 1 Tbsp of vinegar to soy milk and let set for about 5 minutes. Earth Balance also works fine if you need a butter substitute.
2 comments:
I am so glad you posted this! I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and I found that very recipe and already printed it out. SO glad to read the tip about the chicken broth...I think you saved Thanksgiving. What kind of bread should be used for the crumbs? Does it matter?
We always use what our family fondly calls "white trash bread." Just cheap white bread. We use milet now that we are GF. The crumbs are soft so we just tear it up. :)
Post a Comment