
This chocolate cake is responsible for my outlook in life. Dramatic? Let's review... This cake recipe was our family's "secret" recipe until Pioneer Woman ousted us. Growing up I may not have be the coolest in school, okay in the marching band, but at the end of the day I knew three things... 1) I had a safe and loving family 2)Jesus was just alright with me, and 3) My mom could bake a better cake than your mom.
You see, this cake recipe was acquired by my Aunt Elizabeth in home-ec class at Bartlesville High School. Any time my mom has made it people drooled, licked the plate, and shamelessly gotten seconds. Okay thirds. Well, what would you know that my mom grew up in the same town as P-Dubs. When I first started following P-Dubs, the main reason I liked her was because we had so many similar family favorite recipes. When she recently posted a recipe for Morphy's Gravy Burgers from the truck stop in her home town, I knew there couldn't be more than one Murphey's truck stop with hamburgers covered in french fries and ladened in brown gravy (yes, you read that correctly).
Now that I have made my argument clear on how this cake is part of the fabric of my inner being, let' get to cooking. My re-sparked love for this cake was fueled by my recent finding of Jules Flour. Imagine not having this cake for 1 year and 11 months (but who is counting), and then finding a gf substitute that has non-gfers licking the plate. I am a new woman.
Ingredients
2 cups Flour (or equal amounts of Jules GF Flour Blend)
2 cups Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
2 sticks real butter
1 cup Boiling Water
½ cups Buttermilk *(No buttermilk? Just add 1 T to the milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
2 whole Beaten Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla
FROSTING:
1-¾ stick real butter
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
6 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pound Powdered Sugar
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together. Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool. In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, get the icing ready. Pouring it on a hot cake is what makes this baby. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. You can also add paeans but that's not really my thing.
And for those of you who are nutritionally conscious like myself, this cake makes the BEST breakfast you've ever had!
Disclaimer: I did not take this picture. It's from another blogger who shares my adoration for this cake.
3 comments:
I have eaten ( & been baking )this cake for as many years as I have been married. I had it the first time I met Rod's mom and dad, so technically, I've eaten it since I was engaged @ the ripe old age of 18 ! That makes the recipe date back to at least 1966 and since he said his mom made it all the time he was growing up, it's been AROUND !
Been making it ever since...but my MIL always added a touch of cinnamon and a ton of chopped pecans to the frosting...and so that was how my family grew up on it. Yummy anyway you make it.
Gonna make one for Rachel's b'day on Monday. It's what she requested...funny you would have this post today.
Where do you buy Jules GF flour blend? Do you have to order it online?
Just made this for some peeps at work and everyone wanted he recipe :) miss you friend!
Brooke
Post a Comment