Friday, August 20, 2010

Local Eggs In a Basket

With the recent salmonella outbreak, it's made me really crave some eggs lately. Let me rephrase that, it makes me SO GRATEFUL for my clean and safe farm fresh eggs. I have been so focused on getting through my veggies that my egg supply has backed up. So, I made one of my childhood favorite breakfasts that I have forgotten about. That it is until my friend Pioneer Woman (or P-Dubs, as her close friends call her), reminded me of them. These make a great breakfast or a quick dinner. Delicious.

Start out with 2 pieces of bread per person. Don't tell yourself you'll only have one. You'll just end up back at the skillet 10 minutes later. Use a jar or cup to cut out a whole in the middle of your bread. BTW I used Food For Life Millet Bread. It makes great toast that reminds me of sourdough bread. Heat about 1 Tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. And use real butter. It doesn't take a lot, but keep it real and no one will get hurt. Put the bread in your warm skillet.
Season with salt and pepper. Keep it simple. And don't forget about those little bread circles that you've cut out. That's one of the best parts!

Crack open an egg and pour directly into the hole.

I like my eggs runny, so I flipped them pretty quickly. Here is the end result...
I added a nice spoonful of cherry preserves that I received during the winter CSA.
Notice that in the time it took me to put these preserves on my plate, one of my little toast circles disappeared...

No comments: