Sunday, August 15, 2010

CSA Week 16: Fried Okra!

It has been a good weekend. Relaxing and productive. Saturday morning, I spent time volunteering at the World Vision AIDS experience, which was a really powerful exhibit. I would highly recommend going to one if it comes to your area. Last night, my old roomies and some friends who live in the downtown area gathered at my place for Mexican food, laughter, wine, and fun. Here are my WONDERFUL friends and neighbors, Jon and Julia. Jon is from Searcy, Julia also lived with Bethy at one point (it's a big club :), and they graciously watched my house while I was in Zambia. LOVE these guys.

My CSA box was very fun today... okra, chili peppers, bell peppers, onion, peaches, eggplant, squash, red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, and heirloom tomatoes.

I decided to try my hand at fried okra. I was looking for a gf recipe that was just naturally gluten free, and I found this one. They were great with ketchup (okay, and ranch). I am going to try my hand in freezing them, since I really can't eat all these guys in one setting!
And since I had some batter left over, I fried up a green tomatoe as well. Yummy. I served both up with a side of black beans... can you get much more Southern?

No comments: