Friday, July 16, 2010

Gluten Free Nephew!

Families share more than love, we share genes. My nephew and big buddy, Jon Thomas, started a gluten free diet on Monday. He is doing very well with it and Allison is being such a trooper! My sister just posted about it on her blog, but since most of you don't have access to her blog, I had to share this HILARIOUS picture.

Apparently great minds think alike, because J.T. and I had the same dinner of pizza even though we are 5 hours away from each other. Time out. My homemade version of California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Pizza is pretty much amazing. Fresh mushrooms, chicken, bbq, cilantro, onions... yum! Here's a tip for my gluten-less peers... Whenever I buy the crusts (4 to a box), I spend about 20 minutes and make all of them into a pizza. I then wrap then in foil and then place in a labeled freezer zip lock bag. That way, whenever I want pizza it is in the freezer. Just cook for about 20 minutes at 350. One pre-made GF pizza typically costs the same as a box of crusts, and believe me, they are not NEARLY as good. And it keeps me from justifying just giving in and getting Pizza Hut, which of course I pay for later. Time in.

Allison and Jon's family had "build your own pizza's" for dinner with my FAVORITE GF pizza crust (Kinnikinnick brand). Allison said that J.T. LOVED making his. And guess what this 5 year old chose for his toppings? Mushrooms. That's right. He is SUCH a good eater, thanks to his wonderful parents who made a variety of foods available to him from a baby.

So here's the funny part of the evening. From my sister... Isaac heard me say pizza and went and got in his chair. He didn't know he was going to have to wait for it to cook. It's not cooked here-hence, the face.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Isaac. What more can I say?