Monday, July 26, 2010

CSA Week 13: Shepherd's Pie


Here are my veggies from week 13... squash, corn, potatoes, lemon cucumber, melon, tomatoes, and green beans. See all those potatoes? Multiply that by 3 weeks, and that's what I have on my hand my friends.

What to do, what to do with all of those potatoes... Well, yesterday evening I got inspiration when I met some girlfriends at our favorite Irish pub. I ordered my favorite dish there... Shepherd's Pie. We have an in with the manager, so he always makes my dish himself so that it is definetly gluten free (no gravy). Maybe you think that Shepherd's pie is a gross soupy mess of foods that shouldn't be combined. If so, you probably haven't had it in all of it's glory. Yummmmmy. I had to show how they rang this up. Note that it is Gluten Freeeeeeee...

So this evening, I decided to make my own summer version of Shepherd's pie using a good amount of my new potatoes and all of my veggies. I opted to use shelled edamame for protein instead of beef tonight. No reason.

Here is how it all went down...
1. Raid your veggie drawer of all the summer produce. I know peas and carrots are the traditional veggies for this dish, but I really wanted to use my fresh veggies. Today I had squash, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions. Chop them all up and steam for 15 minutes. After they are steamed, saute in 1 Tbsp of oil for about 5 minutes just to crisp the edges. Sprinkle with salt, garlic, and pepper.
2. Cook your protein. Today mine was edamame, so I just steamed it with the veggies. If you use ground beef or ground turkey, just saute with onions and garlic. This is your bottom layer in a 9x13 pan. Veggies are the next layer.

3. Cut and steam your potatoes. I am weird about vitamins, texture, and fiber so I like to keep the skin on. Once they are steamed, mash them into your favorite mashed potatoes. I added lactose free milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and butter. When your potatoes are fresh, you really don't need a ton of butter. Layer over the veggies

4. Shred your favorite cheese. Extra sharp or bust baby and layer it on thick.

5. Cook at 325 for about 25 minutes, until the cheese is crispy.

6. Pray for forgiveness for ever thinking such a dish was beneath you.


4 comments:

Donna Root said...

Looks yummy!!! Not sure if I can get it past my hubby with ALL those veggies, but I will try. :) Never heard of "lemon cucumber," but I "googled" it, and now I HAVE to try it! I'm going on a search for some. They sound great!

Brooke said...

Thanks for this post! I was needing a new receipe for my veggies. I just got cabbage from my co-op and I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking a soup, do you have any other suggestions??

Caroline said...

Brooke,
Hey! I am jealous... I haven't received any of cabbage this year. Here are my ideas...
1. Cabbage is GREAT in stirfry.
2. Ants Climb a Tree is another favorite of mine... See my recent post of my favorite recipes. Kids love this one!
3. If you can eat gluten, go to allrecipes and search for "Bierocks." It's a German meat turnover with beef and cabbage in it. So good.
4. I love making slaw with an oil based unstead of mayo based. Add equal parts of EVOO and Vinegar, then add salt, onions, garlic, sugar, and pepper. Toss in chopped cabbage. Yummy!

Caroline said...

One more thought Brooke. Cabbage Patch Soup. My mom gave us a general recipe for this. I haven't tried it yet, but she raved about it.