Sunday, December 14, 2008

Soup For the Cold Weather

Here are two of my favorite soup recipes. I posted these years ago, and thought I would repost for those of you (most of you :) who didn't read then.

Roasted Vegetable Soup
There are no exact measurements to this recipe. Cut up any vegetables you want: Enough to feel a big casserole dish. This is what I used this time: 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 orange pepper, 1 carton of sliced mushrooms, 2 zuccini, 6 or 7 little new potatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 1 onion. This filled the pan to overflowing. You can use whatever veggies you want. Mix some olive oil through the vegetables. (Not too much or it will sit on the top but enough for a good flavor). You can use any spices you want. I use garlic and rosemary and it is wonderful. Bake these veggies for about 1 hour to 1 hour and a half untill they are all tender- mixing them up occasionally. When the veggies are cooked, put them in a big pot on the stovetop. If there are any veggies stuck to the bottom of the pan, use some red cooking wine to get them out. In the pot with the veggies, add 3 cans veggie or chicken broth and some cooking wine (red is good- I used marsala becasuse it was all I had.) Bring to a boil on the stovetop and then let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until veggies are good and tender. This is SO good and SO easy!

Beans and Ham Soup
Ingredients:
3 (15.8 oz) cans Great Northern Beans
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
2 T butter or oil
8 oz cooked ham, cubed
1/4 tsp pepper
Rinse and drain beans. Process 1/3rd can of beans and 1/2 of chicken broth in food processor until smooth. Set aside. Melt butter or oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes or until union is tender. Add ham and saute 10-15 minutes until ham is lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add bean puree, remaining beans, pepper, and remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10-30 minutes. Thick and hearty. YUM!

No comments: