

Remember those tests I took? Well... I just found out yesterday that I officially have Celiac Sprue, or celiac disease. This is an autoimmune disease where eating any gluten, the protein in wheat, sets off an autoimmune response that causes damage to the small intestine. This, in turn, causes the small intestine to lose its ability to absorb the nutrients found in food, leading to malnutrition and a variety of other complications. (from http://www.csaceliacs.org). This means I can no longer eat gluten/wheat. Ever. Ever. I mean, ever. As long as we both shall live. :) I also found out that my body has a similar autoimmune response to dairy. I am hoping once I heal from the gluten/wheat, I can tolerate it in small amount (butter and cheese) without getting sick. That will be a long way away, if ever. In addition (probably because of the above), I have a major yeast overgrowth (candida and several other types) in my intestine and hardly any good bacteria. And okay, I have a parasite too. :) I know that's gross, but that's what you get for working in the health field!
No WONDER I've been so sick. I wanted to blog about this for one main reason: LISTEN TO YOURSELF and be your own advocate for your health! I have had a lot of symptoms since August, which include:
-Major abdominal bloating, to the point of gaining about 25 pounds.
-Abdominal distention (tummy pooching out and getting hard) Seriously, I look pregnant after eating certain foods.
-Feeling dehydrated a lot.
-Energy loss, quick fatigue
-Lots of bathroom issues. Lots of pain after certain foods. I will leave it at that.
-Getting sores in my mouth more frequently, dried lips more frequently
-Hands and arms falling asleep suddenly, a lot
-My teeth enamel began changing to a yellowish color sporadically
-Major depression episodes after eating certain foods.
-Quick mood changes.
-Very low vitamin D
-Increased OCD and anxiety (Hello, the eating disorder. I mean that was a long time coming, but it definitely was hard to control it at first with my anxiety all out of whack)
-Major aches and pains in my joins (To the point I was tested for Rheumatoid arthritis a few years ago. It was negative.)
I kept telling myself I was just being a hypochondriac. I was being obsessive, I was just down because of circumstances. But as time passed, I was happy with life and taking good care of myself, and my symptoms didn't change. I truly believe that God put the idea of celiac on my heart. So I began researching and asking around. I went to my Doctor and asked for a blood test. He thought it could be several other things, but agreed. The test was negative, because I caught it early. He then suggested we run some other tests to figure out if I had a yeast build up in my intestines, and he told me he would let me take a celiac test as well. I said yes. And here we are. He is a GREAT doctor, in that he listened to me and allowed me to be my own advocate. And now I have answers, which is what I craved. I think it was God's Christmas present to me. :)
This could have gone on for YEARS in being sick, trying to find a diagnosis, who knows. But God has sustained me and led me down the right path. I feel so blessed that the money I have spent on my osteopathic Doctor over the past year has been worth it. We finally figured out what's been causing the anxiety and depression and other issues. This, hopefully, will eventually lead to a significant decrease in the OCD.
I feel so blessed to have answers. And sure, living dairy, wheat, gluten free will be an adaptment. But it could be so much worse. I don't have to take medicines or undergo any major treatment, I just have to alter my diet. I don't have cancer or a terminal illness. I live in a great city with tons of resources. I have food and never have to worry where the next meal will come from. I am blessed. WE are blessed. May God remind you of your blessings this Christmas, little blog family.
Merry Christmas. Love, Caroline
2 comments:
Awww Caroline! Girl, there is NO ONE like you! You are such a special person and I love the way you look at life. Thanks for being you! You are someone that I truly miss from college. You have a spirit like none other! I'm so glad you found out what was wrong. Take care of yourself! :)
well said! I know it will be hard for awhile, and as strange as it sounds, you may grieve for some of the foods you can't have anymore!!! But I know you are ready to begin this new journey and to begin feeling better! I will be thinking of you and praying for you!
Post a Comment