1. Spinach Salad... 1 bag fresh spinach, 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, 1 chopped and cubed granny smith apple, 1/4 cup golden raisins OR craisens if you're feeling festive. Mix all together. (You can wait and chop the apple right before serving to keep from browning). For the dressing, mix together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup sugar (or honey, or agave nectar. I am pretty sure you could reduce the sugar if you wanted to). Stir well, then pour over the salad. YUM.

2. Sweet Potato "fries"... Chop up several sweet potatoes into small cubes. I leave the peeling on for these, and it's really tasty. In a bowl, pour enough olive oil over them to lightly coat but no excess. Work the olive oil through with your hands and drain any excess. Here's the fun part... add whatever spice sounds good to you. I like salt, pepper, a little cayenne, and a little cinnamon. Spread in a single layer on a pan and cook for about 25 minutes at 375, turning half way through for crispiness. If you are in a major hurry, you can broil them but keep a close eye on them, as I have burnt them doing this. :)

3. Herbed potatoes... Similar to above, chop up several regular potatoes (red or Yukon gold are my favorites), leaving the peeling on for extra fiber and flavor. In a bowl, pour enough olive oil over them to lightly coat. A little extra olive oil is okay with these. It just makes it crispier, so that's your choice. Work the olive oil through with your hands. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried onions. Another good combo is rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. And yet another, Cajun seasoning and salt. Roast for about 25 minutes at 375, turning halfway through for crispiness. Again, if in a hurry you can broil these as well.

4. Zucchini and Squash bake... Slice 3-4 zucchini and 3-4 squash. Put in a "sprayed" casserole dish (Pam is fine, or just spread some olive oil around with a paper towel). Add crushed garlic and salt, pepper (of course. :) Put olive oil over vegetables, again not too much but enough to coat all of the slices. Bake about 45 minutes at 350, or until veggies or tender.

5. Broiled Zucchini crisps... Slice zucchini thinly. Again, add olive oil, salt, and pepper (are you seeing a pattern)? Excess oil makes these soggy. On a cookie sheet (I cover with aluminum foil to assist with clean up), spread these out in a single layer. Broil about 10-15 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them. Keep your eye on them. Flip if so desired but it's not necessary. I LOVE these. Crispy and yummy. I don't like asparagus, but I have a friend who does the same with thing with asparagus and loves them.

6. Healthy Gourds... On a sprayed cookie sheet, cut a winter or acorn squash in half and lay it face down. (You can also do this with sweet potatoes- no need to slice, just cook normally). Cook until tender, about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Once cooked, peel squash (or sweet potatoes) in a bowl. Add honey (just add to the sweetness you desire), a little butter or smart balance (it doesn't take much at all), pecans, craisens, allspice, nutmeg, pepper (to balance the sweet), and a little salt. Stir together for a healthy sweet potato/squash casserole. I know that it may be frustrating that I don't use measurements on my spices, but you know what tastes good. Just add a little at a time until it tastes good to you.

7. Cheese Grits... Not a veggie, obviously, but a great side. I took a very butter/grease ladened recipe and simplified it down. The original recipe was fabulous, don't get me wrong, but everyone walked away feeling stuffed and ladened down with butter. This tweaked version is MUCH better tasting, and you don't leave with that "swimming in butter" feeling. P.S. I HATE most grits, but I LOVE this recipe.
INGREDIENTS:
6 cups water
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits, dry
1/4 cup butter (it used to call for 3/4 cup)
2 cups shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese (Regular cheese makes it really greasy)
1 teaspoons seasoning salt (reduced from 2 tsp)
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoons salt (reduced from 2 tsp)
1 whole egg, 6 egg whites, beaten (reduced from 3 whole eggs)
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in grits, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the butter, cheese, seasoning salt, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and fold in the eggs quickly. They will start to cook so make sure they blend well. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the top is lightly browned.

8. Broccoli Salad... I know we have all had one version of this or another. It's usually laden in real mayo and cheese. Here's a lighter version where you can actually appreciate all the flavors. My nephew loves this.
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
6-8 slices of crisp bacon (turkey bacon is fine), chopped finely. I use center cut
bacon, as it is leaner. Read the labels, as they are starting to carry regular
bacon with no nitrates/nitrites/msg at regular grocery stores.
1 Big head fresh broccoli florets, or two medium heads
1/2 cup craisens (the original recipe calls for golden raisins, but I switched it
once and like these much better).
1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1 red onion, chopped
Dressing:
1 cup plain yogurt (you can use mayo if in a pinch... I use Kraft Olive Oil Mayo)
2 Tbs White Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar (I am trying honey next time)

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, mix together the bacon, broccoli, craisins, onion and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and flavors are mingled. I use a little more broccoli so the dressing isn't too soggy.
9. Hot Corn... So yes, this would resemble more of a casserole, but it's all whole ingredients (no canned soup or fake butter), and of course I modified it. Yummy.
60 oz FROZEN corn (crispier and no salt added)
2 pkgs cream cheese, the 1/3rd less fat kind (Neufatchel)
1/2 cup skim milk (original called for whole)
1/4 cup butter (original called for 1 cup)
1 (12oz) jar of jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped)
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine butter, cream cheese and milk; stir until smooth. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, combine corn and jalapenos. Pour milk mixture over corn. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.

10. Sauteed Mushrooms... Cooked mushrooms are usually laden in butter, which makes them good. Here is a really good alternative... Heat a good amount of white cooking wine over a medium heat in a large skillet. Once it is warm and simmering, add the mushrooms (wine should cover the mushrooms) and simmer until they are tender. Sprinkle with pepper to offset the salt in the wine. They will most likely soak up the wine, but if not, drain off. Add any spices so desired, but they are usually pretty good with the wine and pepper.
2 comments:
Whoa! You are quite the cooker, Caroline! I'm impressed! I need to do more of these types of things. I do cook lots of veggies but I do a lot of boiling of squash and broccoli or steaming some other type of veggie. The roasting and cooking in the oven, I'll have to try. Sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing.
yessss! I get more recipes from the fabulous caroline!!! YUM-O!!!! (I am so trying the grits first, they sound so good!)
Post a Comment