Friday, April 04, 2008

My favorite finds...

So I have really been trying to cut out the junk lately, and limit the processed, artificial stuff. As much as I am down with eating roasted eggplant and squash, I need a good handful of Cheetos or serving of Fried Cheese Sticks every once in a while. I am a firm believer of not denying yourself anything. I am trying to eat more natural, but I definitely think there is room for a good splurge now and again!

Here are some more natural substitutes for my all-time favorite "junk foods," made more healthy (not that I am above having the original now and then). They all have more whole wheat flours, higher fiber, and nutritional value than their counterparts. They also have fewer calories and fat then the originals. Some of these are even a part of my everyday foods, as opposed to the originals that I have to ration (unfortunately, that does not include the cookies). FYI, they are all available at my"ghetto Kroger" in the organic/natural section, so they shouldn't be too hard to come by.


IF YOU LIKE THE ONE ON THE LEFT, TRY THE ONE ON THE RIGHT:

Number 1:



Pizza is my favorite food, hands down. Kashi 5 Cheese Tomato Pizza is packed with fiber and has skim cheese. Fabulous and very nutritious.


Number 2:
I know, most people think of Wheat Thins as a health food, but unfortunately they still have corn syrup and enriched flour. It disappoints me, too, as I love them. Kashi has great "TLCs" (tasty little crackers). My favorite is the 7 grain- yummy.

Number 3:

Chicken in a biscuit- very good, yes. But also very heavy, and the bad outweighs the good for me to eat them regularly. I often take a Boca Spicy Chik'n Pattie (made of soy protein) and eat it on a warm whole grain English muffin. Mmm. Very good breakfast that stays with you without feeling like you ate a brick.


Number 4:

I have always LOVED Cheetos.
The natural are fabulous- more like cheese puffs, but so good, and your fingers aren't dyed artificial orange after. You can buy a HUGE bag of these at COSTCO for $5.75. That's value, friends. :)

Number 5:


Who from the south doesn't like fried chicken? Morning star has "buffalo chick" nuggets that are made of soy. They are fantastic, high in fiber, and not fried. Really good on salad.
Number 6:


If you like burritos, grab a Cedarlane Vegan Burrito. Sound disgusting? I ate one and LOVED it before I even realized it was vegan. Amy's Organics also has good ones. These make several of my lunches on a week to week basis.

Number 7:

Growing up in the south, I am not ashamed to admit my love for fried foods. I have friends who say, "that's too greasy" about something and I'll think, "I don't think I've ever thought that. :)
I have a crazy addiction to Sonic Mozzarella Cheese Sticks, which are obviously not optimal for good health. I found these Alexia organic Mozzarella Stix, and they satisfied my craving while I was weening off the Sonic ones. Plus they have fiber and are pretty low calorie, much to my surprise (breaded but not fried).
Number 8:
Annie's mac and cheese, how do I love you. Whole wheat organic noodles, natural cheese, just add water. The microwavable packs are my favorite.
Number 9:

Who doesn't love oreos? Newman Os really rock this world. I am partial to the original (the chocolate creme were not good, FYI). My former roommate, Brooke, ate me out of packs and packs and packs... :)

Number 10:
If you love eggplant parm, you MUST get the cederlane organics version. FABULOUS, very low in calories and high fiber, high nutrients, all natural, and I must admit, I usually scrape the container when I am done. :) This is a normal resident in my freezer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh, how i love many of these. although, i have to say that my children do not like annie's mac n cheese :( i've just taken to making it from scratch when we all really want some. glad to see you're blogging again, and oh! did NOT know you met Matt on eharmony!!
rachel

Unknown said...

i've had to make some changes, as well, to my diet due to GI issues (will spare details, but have discussed it in full on my blog). i love whole foods, too, and love to make homemade oat bran on the stove with cinnamon, vanilla soy milk, bananas, or raspberries, and either honey, or if you have to be more conservative like me right now, brown rice syrup.

Brooke said...

Just wanted to say...AMEN to the Neuman O's :)