
I have joined a CSA this summer! A CSA is as follows...
Many farms offer produce subscriptions, where buyers receive a weekly or monthly basket of produce, flowers, fruits, eggs, milk, coffee, or any sort of different farm products. A CSA, (for Community Supported Agriculture) is a way for the food buying public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. By making a financial commitment to a farm, people become "members" (or "shareholders,") of the CSA. A CSA season typically runs from late spring through early fall.
CSAs are much better for the environment because the trucks used to transport the produce to your local grocer leaks Carbon Monoxide into the air we breath. Plus the minute produce is picked, it begins loosing nutrients (the average produce bought in the grocery store travels 1300 miles to get there). My favorite tip was this: eating what is in season is often what our bodies need. The environment naturally grows food with vitamins/features necessary for our bodies that time of year. For example, summer produce typically contains a higher water content, which our bodies require more of in the hot season. Especially cool to think about as a Christian, seeing how God designed it all.
You can go to http://www.localharvest.org/ and put it in your zip code to find one in your area. I have chosen Fogg Hollow Farms, http://www.fogghollowfarms.com/, because they offer the fruit and herbs I love, plus they are a new farm starting up. (She has done CSA's for 20 years, but is starting one on her own this year). Here's a snip-it from their website...
"We are raising a large variety of fresh small fruits, vegetables and herbs. In the spring there will be greens onions, lettuces, greens, broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, snow & sugar snap peas, radishes and several varieties of early herbs. In the summer we will feature 20+ varieties of heirloom tomatoes, many kinds of peppers, both hot and sweet, several types of zucchini & squash, field peas, green beans, okra, onions, 4 types of garlic, noodle beans (great for stir frying), blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, carrots (yellow, white, purple plus the regular orange), sweet corn, rosemary, thyme, basil, dill, cucumbers, tarragon, sage, and other vegetables such as red, white and sweet potatoes. There will be 8-12 different items in your basket each week along with a weekly newsletter describing the items in your basket."
I am excited! We start in May. I pick it up at the Farmers Market, 3 blocks from my house. And it is CHEAP. Bethy and I are splitting 1/2 a share, and it comes out to us each spending $35 a month for organic veggies/fruits every week, May through August! With my recent detox, I had to shell out a ton of money for organic veggies. Seriously, an organic eggplant cost $4.00 at Whole Foods. That is ridiculous. In my opinion, it shouldn't be a luxury or an expense to eat healthy. I am READY for inexpensive, fresh produce. So bring on the CSA!
1 comment:
Hey Caroline, don't know if you remember me, but its Leslie (Bogle) Thomas. I just found your blog through Alyson Reves and I LOVE this post. I am totally into the organic veggies because I make tons of baby food for my daughter and only use organic. I am going to check this thing out!
Post a Comment