Holly and TJ have a new dog. Sweet little one year old guy, named Dante. He was abused as a puppy, which causes him to be a little stand offish around new people, so it took him a little while to warm up to me (as inimidating as I am)... But I am proud to report he is coming to me and we actually wrestled the other night and he tried to eat my ponytail, a true sign of friendship. He is also going on walks with Holly and me. Saturday we walked for a good hour at a good pace and when we were almost done, about 12 feet from her car, he just looked at both of us and plopped down in the grass, as if to say, "I am done, guys."
Well, today Holly and TJ were out of socket and needed someone to let him out for a pit stop. So I ran over and was planning to let him out and then come back and workout at my gym. But, given that I had my running shoes on, he was obviously enjoying the fresh air, and it was absolutly gorgeous outside, I decided to go for a friendly jaunt around the neighborhood.
So off we treck. We first had to cross a very busy road in which people drive like the Indy 500, which is always fun. Once we crossed, we were in a relatively quite and peaceful residential neighborhood. Dante was SO excited (he must have fall fever like I do) that he took off. I know, I am not supposed to run b/c of my knees, but try telling him that. So we ran a bit and then I talked him into a reasonable walking pace.
Luck would have it that as soon as we get into that pace, here comes a series of squirrels and chimpmunks, all spaced about a minute apart. I would be walking and then the next thing I knew, Dante is airborne, which means that I am airborne as well. But, much to his dismay, I was able to stop him from catching any wildlife this evening.
We also came across the occasional neighbor walking their dog. I just think the Lord is so crafty and clever and humorous in how he created all creatures. I can just see the wheels churning: Let's see, humans can shake hands when they meet and size each other up by looking at each other; but wouldn't it be funny if I gave dogs the desire to sniff each other in the hind quarters when they come across another dog they haven't met before? I just think this is one of the funniest details that he could think of.
But I really enjoyed my time with Dante. (I am so excited to get my own dog in the next few months, which I am sure will add many stories to this blog.) And we both got our energy out, enjoyed the weather, chased some squirrels, sniffed some dogs, and hiked our legs when necessary (well, he did anyway).
No comments:
Post a Comment