Monday, September 20, 2004

Enjoy your teeth while they last

I have never in my life gotten more compliments on my teeth than when I have worked with older people. Seriously, I get at least 2 compliments a week from patients on my teeth. I don't think it's that my teeth are particulary stunning. I have a gap in between my front teeth which my friend John Calloway likes to point out time and time again. I think you just notice what you don't have or what you've lost. And 90% of nursing home dwellers have lost their teeth (Who knows, it could be a requirement. :) It should be with the way some of them like to bite.) Today I walked into a little lady's room and she said, "You sure have the prettiest teeth honey." I laughed and told her "thank you" and then she said, "SEE! I don't have any teeth! SEE!" And there she was, head cocked back, mouth agape, and all fingers directed towards her toothless mouth to prove her point. You just never know WHAT your day is going to entail, do you?

No comments: