Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The Price is Right

There is one phenomenon in all nursing homes that amazes me... Life stops at 11:00/10 central time for The Price is Right. Walking down the hall, you can hear Bob Barker echo in every room. I have a theory that the reason this show is so important to older people is that it is the only one that has been around for most of their lives. Nothing has changed about it... retro colors are still the motiff for the stage set, Plinko's still going strong, Bob Barker is still supporting having your pets spayed or neutered, and at least one big breasted braless woman runs down the aisle per episode. I find myself sneaking a peak at the tv when I am doing therapy that doesn't require the patient to talk or think. And the marketing for this show? I challange you on your next sick day, to watch it. I mean, EVERY commercial is aimed at the elderly... Polydent denture adhesive, the quaker oats guy talking about diabetes medication, miracle ear hearing aids, lawyers emphasizing their ability to sue nursing homes against neglect -dehydration- and bed sores (which I usually try to talk over- don't want any of the residents to get any crazy ideas) and the "scooter store" motorized wheel chair commercial (which by the way I tried to operate one of those things and nearly caused a domino effect with all of the other patient's in their manual wheel chairs- those things are POWERFUL). Now I have two things to look forward to when I end up in a home: Bingo and the Price is Right.

No comments: