Sunday, July 26, 2009

Eggplant and Sausage Bake

The eggplants keep coming this time of year, which means I keep trying new recipes. I have never had this much luck with eggplants! I think the key is to a) slice them thin, and b) steam them, prior to adding them to a dish (ratatouille, eggplant Parmesan, eggplant roll ups, eggplant lasagna, etc). Here's my newest invention...

Eggplant and Sausage Bake
I know what you're thinking... isn't the point of eggplant to be a vegetarian dish? To which I would rebuttal "Doesn't everything go with either sausage or bacon?" :)

-1 large eggplant, peeled, sliced in thin strips, and steamed until soft
-Vegetable oil or grape seed oil
-Bread crumbs (These are my favorite GF breadcrumbs- unbelievable)
-1/2 package of ground sausage, cooked (I use Tennessee Pride All Natural MSG free)
-8 oz ricotta
-8 oz mozzarella (I love the Kroger Brand mozzarella in the SQUARE block- not the rectangle. It's a lot softer, and quiet wonderful without the fancy price.)
-1 egg
-Basil
-Salt, Pepper, Onion powder, Garlic powder

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Dip steamed eggplant in bread crumbs. The moisture from the steaming helps the breadcrumbs to stick. "Fry" eggplant in oil on both sides until crispy. Place in the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish with the cooked sausage. Mix cheeses, egg, chopped basil, and spices together with a mixer. Spread over eggplant/sausage. Top with marinara. Cook 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees until bubbly. YUM!

7 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

Sounds delicious!!! May have to try it, however, I can't say I've had eggplant before!! Do I have to peel the eggplant before steaming or do you just wash, cut, and steam?

Leanne said...

ohhh that sounds yummy. I love eggplant. Hope things are going well in your life. I miss seeing you. Maybe we can all get together soon. Have a great week!

Caroline said...

Morgan- It is GREAT. Yes, peel it. I used to just leave the peeling on, but it's pretty tough. :)
Leanne- I miss you too!!!! I was just thinking of that last week. I think you would love this recipe. Things are really good with me. I love reading your blog. We should all get together soon... maybe I'll put Heather in charge of coordinating. :)

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

did you use a 9x13 casserole? and did you use shredded mozzarella? Or the fancy soft kind?

Caroline said...

Carrie- I used a 9 x9 because it was just me, so you may need to double it. Although I will say, it made 4 portions. I but the Kroger Mozzerella... Not the harder, rectangle block but the softer square block. It's in the regular cheese section, and it's a great price. I shred it my self, and it is nice and soft without the fancy price. :) Also, YES, I would love the eggplant patty recipe! I have some great gf breadcrubs I use.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

okay, i'm gonna make this, but where does the egg come in?

Caroline said...

Okay, I realize my post was a little confusing, so I fixed it. :) The egg comes to play when you mix it with the cheeses and spices. It helps hold it all together.