Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cookies!!!


Thought I would show you my new portrait. :) So I love chocolate chip cookies. I also love the dough. My GF diagnosis put an end to my favorite treat, because I just figured they would be disappointing. But then, a dear family friend and dietitian, Donna (Elizabeth's Mom) made these cookies when I was visiting in St Louis. I made them at home, and they are fanTASTIC. Gluten free, low dairy cookies that taste great. It's not an oxymoron, after all.
CHEWY GLUTEN FREE COOKIES
(Originally from Alton Brown)
8 T unsalted butter or Earth Balance
2 cups brown or white rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 T tapioca flour or millet flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 & a 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 light brown sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk or soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips OR 6 oz chocolate chips, 6 oz butterscotch chips (Make sure they are gluten free- Kroger brand is, but Nestle is not).

Directions
In a medium bowl, sift together the rice flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Cream sugars with the butter. Add the whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine. Roll into balls. Chill the dough in the freezer until firm, approximately 1 hour. When ready to cook, bake at 375. These are fine to take from the freezer and cook immediately. Bake for 14 minutes, rotating the pans after 7 minutes for even baking. Remove from the oven and cool the cookies on the pans for 2 minutes. Move the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. YUM.

3 comments:

Donna Root said...

Hey, I made your blog! :) I'm so glad you enjoyed those cookies. Come back and visit and I'll cook for you again. Love ya! :)

Lindy said...

thankyou very much for sharing!!!!

Anonymous said...

Chocolate chip cookies are the only reason I get out of bed some days. They are also the only reason I carry an extra 10 pounds all the time ;)