Monday, April 27, 2009

Black Bean Burgers

Stop what you're doing and make these right now. It will only take 20 minutes.

Bean Burgers
3 slices bread, torn (I used GF bread crumbs)
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, McCormick
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg
olive oil (I used grapeseed oil)- enough to coat the bottom of the pan, but I use a little more than that.

Guacomole
1 avocado , seeded and peeled
3 tablespoons lime juice
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 plum tomato , chopped

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. In a food processor, process bread until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cilantro and garlic until finely minced. Add beans, chipotle powder, egg, and cumin. Pulse until beans are coarsely chopped. Using your hands, mix well and shape into 1⁄2 inch thick patties (1 per serving). If patties seem loose, refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm them up, or add more breadcrumbs. Cook patties in skillet, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes per side. While patties are cooking, mash avocado in a small bowl with lime juice and salt and pepper. Serve patties topped with guacamole and chopped tomato. WONDERFUL.

I have been posting a lot of recipes lately, simply because I have been on a cooking streak and have come into a lot of good recipes. This is a great recipe if you are new to healthier cooking and tend to get overwhelmed or intimidated by new recipes. If you or your family are skeptical of bean burgers, these are a great start because they are so easy and pack a great flavor. They don't taste like a health food at all. Just another gem from www.gfreecuisine.com or www.relishrelish.com.

FYI, 1 burger with 1/4 of the guac has 240 calories a piece (1/4 of recipe), 10 grams protein, 9 grams fiber, and 10 grams of fat. Not too shabby! I ate mine on toasted bread and it was over the top delicious. Sorry, no pic. I ate it too fast!

No comments: