Friday, January 09, 2009

THANK YOU!!!!!

First of all...Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping me out! You guys are amazing! Thanks for all of the ideas for my new "diet." I am proud to report that I have had no more major breakdowns in grocery stores. I am feeling much better. I don't get sick after meals anymore. Here's a few learning moments I have had over the past few weeks...

1. McDonald's can say their french fries are gluten free, but this girl had a major reaction. I decided to "treat" myself for a little treat after my first full week of gluten/dairy free. I was sick for the next 2-3 hours. The good thing is, I realized that it was how I felt after every meal before, and it felt miserable. I have heard that you never know how bad you felt until you start to feel better, and I am starting to realize that it is true.

2. Of course, I would have an allergic reaction to... LIPSTICK. That's right. One of my side effects had been chapped and broken out lips, but I figured that would go away once I switched to gluten free. It has actually gotten worse, though my other side effects have decreased. So I researched it on the celiac website, and most lipsticks have gluten and it's a common response. I am sure it's real inexpensive, too.

3. Taco bell is a good fast grab for people with allergies. I was out shopping and had a blood sugar dip, so I went to googled Taco Bell on my handy dandy phone, and got 2 tacos off their fresco menu. Dairy and gluten free. Of course, they claim that it may come in contact with gluten products, but I had no reaction! And McDonald's claims they aren't in contact with gluten, and you see what happened.

4. Gluten/dairy free does not mean an easy healthy pass. You still have to watch it. I have definitely overindulged on potato chips and Frito scoops. And Dr pepper and sugar as well.

5. Eating out isn't that much fun. I'd rather eat in. Not to be a fuddy-dud, but most restaurants will tell you almost everything has gluten b/c they don't want to be liable. I have eaten out twice, once at California Pizza Kitchen where I had a salad, chicken, and olive oil. They couldn't guarantee what the chips were made of so the salad was it with me, and I was still hungry after I left. The other time was at Chili's, and I ordered a steak with no butter/no seasonings as they suggested and veggies with no butter/no seasoning. I did have the chips and salsa at Chili's there, even though they weren't on the gluten free menu and I was fine. All this to say, if I am going to pay $13 for a meal, I want it to be memorable. So eating in is just easier and more relaxing.

6. I am doing well! This is do-able. More than do-able. I am very blessed. I have great friends who have been supported and my life is more than what I eat. God has helped me keep things in perspective.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

yaaaaay! sounds like you are doing great! thinking about you, and thanks for the recipes!

Anonymous said...

Lipstick...who knew???