Thursday, January 08, 2009

Relearning Speech

I have a great outpatient right now who is receiving speech therapy for a language deficit (aphasia) after a stroke. He is in his 70s, always wears a top hat and a suit jacket, and is just the sweetest thing ever. He has a lot of word substitutions (paraphasias) where he will think he is saying the right words but he's not. He is a preacher so he substitutes a lot of words with "amazing grace and blessing." He has a great attitude about it and is really making great progress. This week, we were in the middle of a task where I would start a sentence and he would complete it. He was unable to do this at all when we started 2 weeks ago, so this was very exciting. Here's how it went down...

Me: "I need to iron my ________."
Him: "Drawers."

Me: "Would you like to go to ___________?"
Him: "Dinner? Well, I don't know, honey, maybe sometime soon."
His wife and I giggled, and we moved on.
Me: "We could go Saturday or ____________."
Him: "Sunday? I don't know, honey, maybe we should just wait for the weekend."

A few minutes later...
Me: "He is my best __________."
Him: "Lover."

No comments: