I have no intention of this blog becoming about being gluten free/casein free. It's about me, my life, my weird quirks, my fabulous patients, and the fun little messes I get myself into. I have some really good work stories in my head, but I need to wait a little while longer to post them, for health care privacy reasons (I never post a story about a patient current to when it happens- I wait a while until I am farther removed from the situation for the patient's privacy). All that to say, funny work stories are coming!
Since this blog is about my life, the diet change has obviously been a big thing for me over the past month so I am talking a little more about it now. It's officially been one month since I started this new change, and I wanted to take time to answer the number one question I have been getting from friends, in efforts to help others with the same issues who read this blog... How do you do it? Well, friends, it's not so bad...
1. Chocolate Soy Milk- My new favorite dessert! I needed something healthy to keep around for when I need a chocolate fix, and this is great. Protein, chocolate taste... you'll laugh, you'll cry...

2. I have reignited my love for fruit. It's great. Temperature is everything. A very cold orange blows a room temperature orange out of the water. Putting chopped, fresh pineapple in the freezer for 20 minutes before you eat it makes it taste like an exotic dessert. Dried fruit is great as well... prunes, craisens, you name it! I didn't realize how much refined sugar I ate before. Since most refined sugar desserts contain wheat or dairy, I have limited choices... I can go without, spend 45 minutes making a gf/cf dessert, or just grab a piece of fruit or glass of chocolate soy milk. 9/10 times I opt for the latter.

3. Sometimes I feel like a Mom. Mom's carry their "Mom bag" everywhere, I carry my cooler bag to work every day. I splurged on a new lunch "box" since mine was 5 years old and had served it's max potential. I found a cute tote that's a cooler on the inside. It's similar to this one, except of course it has polka dots... Only $8 at target. This new eating thing is definitely helping me with my resolution to cut out Ziploc as much as possible this year, as I keep my food in the reusable glass Tupperware.


4. "I get by with a little help from my friends" is so right...
SO MANY of you, plus several other friends have helped me out so much by doing one simple thing... Sitting down and writing out a list of foods that they eat for each meal that don't have wheat or dairy. I have gotten great ideas from the restricted and the unrestricted eaters. It's been my biggest blessings. I think we all get in a food rut, so it's just nice for someone else to share their rut with you for ideas.
5. The great gluten debate of oatmeal- is it gluten free or not- has passed my test and I can eat it!
6. I was a little nervous of the awkwardness of eating over at other people's house, but it has been so easy. In one case, a friend was cooking a pasta/cheese dish so I brought something that looked similar. In most other cases, they made delicious soups (thank you Linda, Fulby, and Elizabeth!) or delicious Dominican beans and rice and fried plantain (thank you Holly!). Though I would gladly bring my own food, I am blessed to have friends who took a little extra time to think about the menu for me. It will definitely make me a better hostess in the future!
7. After that first week, I was convinced I would never eat out again. I have now realized that most places only guarantee a certain amount of their food gluten free, simply because they don't want the risk of a lawsuit if the food is mixed with something accidentally. Then I ordered McDonald's french fries which ARE certified gluten free and became wretchedly ill, and decided it's all a crap shoot. Here have been my successes of enjoyable eating out experiences... the California rolls and edamame at Shintomi Sushi(in the restaurant where it's made fresh- the grocery store kind has wheat in it); the vegan bean dip and chips at Calypso Cafe; chicken fried rice at Pei Wei (although I had to promise the manager I wouldn't sue if it got mixed with anything); pretty much anything at Baja Burrito except the flour tortillas or fried fish; fajitas at a local Mexican restaurant (just request corn tortillas); I have tolerated the chips and salsa at every restaurant thus far (including chili's); and a yummy breakfast of potatoes and eggs cooked in oil, bacon, and substitute tomato slices for the toast at Fido (a local coffee shop).
The good side is that I am pretty much unable to do fast food, which is a blessing! If I get in a real bind, I can tolerate the Fresca Tacos at Taco Bell.
8. Planning ahead is non-negotiable. Convience items aren't as common when you start eliminating a lot of foods. Combine that with hypoglycemia, and failing to plan ends in disaster. I almost convinced myself that I would be okay to eat a cheese pizza out of low blood sugar... luckily my roommates intervened! I spend a few hours on the weekend planning a flexible menu for the week, and cooking any snacks (chex mix) or lunches I need. Those few hours are SO worth it during the week! I get it all ready so I just have to "replenish the stock" in my lunch bag each night. I've made a batch of soup for my lunches every week for the past month. I eat on that batch for dinner the Sunday night I make it, then for 5 lunches that week. That usually leaves a little left for the roommates to have a bowl as well. Chicken tortilla, black bean and corn soup, taco soup, spicy vegetable soup, white chicken chili... the possibilities are endless! And I ALWAYS have something I can whip together in 5 minutes if necessary, for those times I get home later than expected and my blood sugar is rocky. For me, this has been having the makings of a tuna fish sandwich or scrambled eggs on hand at all times.
9. The best advice I received (from my dear HU/Zeta Rho/ and also gf friend Lindy) was this... "To avoiding getting overwhelmed, start by just eating things that are naturally gluten/casein free, and go from there." Simple enough, but it can be really tempting to start trying all of these altered recipes of your old favorites. That gets expensive and overwhelming. Focus on beans, rice, meat, vegetables, fruit, oats, homemade soups, tortilla chips, etc. Then slowly try the fancy gluten free substitute items as your budget allows, and in order of what's most importance to you.
10. Living Without is a great magazine for food allergies (thank you, Carrie!). It's available at Whole Foods, or at www.livingwithout.com

11. Blogs saved my life. Seriously. There are so many blogs for whatever eating style you participate in! My newest favorite is www.crockpot365.blogspot.com (thank you, Amie)! The lady just happens to have a gf kiddo, so it's chocked of great recipes to stick in the crock pot before going to work in the morning. I know, I sound like a grandma, but hey, I don't feel so shabby when I come home to a mouthwatering dinner ready to go! Who says you have to be married to be domesticated?
12.Use those who have gone before you! Rather it be friends, acquaintances at church (who become fast friends!), or just Internet references; there is someone who can help and give you advice! Swallow your pride and ask for help.
1 comment:
I have learned so much about eating healhier since I have read your blog. And you keep me laughing with your stories!
Post a Comment