Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Free Speech Therapy Advice For Your Kiddo



I am working with children now more than I ever have in my almost-5 years as a Speech-Language Pathologist. I see a lot of kids who probably wouldn't be delayed in their language development if their parents just had a little more understanding of language development. Here are a few things you need to know about speech and language development...

1. Familiarize with age appropriate speech-language.
I had a mom of a 1.5 year old come in and say that her kid was very behind the
children in her class at the daycare. Apparently, that class was full of early
bloomers, and her child was just on the later end of normal! All kids develop at
a different pace. Here's a great website with some explanation of this:


2. Verbal communication is only one piece of the pie!
Take time to educate yourself on the language system and on all of
the aspects of speech. Expressive language is more than talking, and receptive
communication is just as important as expressive communication.
I will have parents come in with delayed kiddos, and they
have been so focused on trying to get the kid to talk that they didn't realize
that there are several other things the child is behind in. Several things have
to be in place before words occur. It's like a ladder, you can't skip a rung!


3. Learn how to effectively talk and respond to your child.
1. Respond to your baby’s coos and babbling. Babble back.
2. Play simple games with your baby like peek-a-boo and patty-cake.
3. Listen to your child. Look at them when they talk to you. Give them time to
respond. (It feels like an eternity, but count to 5—or even 10—before filling
in the silence).
4. Describe for your child what they are doing, feeling and hearing in the course
of the day. Talk a lot to your child. Tell them what you are doing as you do
it.
5. Encourage storytelling and sharing information.
6. Expand on what your child says. (For example, if your child says, “Book!”,
you can say, “You want book!” or "You want more!")
7. Answer your child every time they speak—this rewards them for talking.
8. Ask your child lots of questions.
9. Use gestures along with words.
10.Don’t criticize grammar mistakes. Instead, just model good grammar.
11.Use simple sentences and pause between sentences.
12.Speak slowly and clearly.
13. Encourage, but don't push, your child to talk. Allow them to develop at their own pace.

4. DO NOT reinforce screaming/fits as communication!
I have a few little patients who I know get frustrated that they
can't talk. So their desperate parents have allowed them to get what they need through fits. While I don't blame them, this is counterproductive. If you child is not talking with their words, acknowledge gestures and USE BABY SIGNS! I believe all babies would benefit from knowing the sings, "please, more, thank you, all done, and help." You don't have to have them signing every little word, but help them learn the basic signs to ask for things and for their favorite activities (eat, drink, sleep, play, music). My nephew was asking for things by signing "please" at 11 months. If he threw a fit, Allison waited until he "used his words" to communicate appropriately. Using these also helped him speak a lot quicker. We use baby signs with all of our kiddos at the clinic. Click here to learn basic signs!


5. Their "mistakes" in speech mean they are developing correctly!
Let me explain... Children go through certain "processes" in their speech and language development. For instance, children may "overgeneralize" their first words to refer to items beyond their usual meaning. A child might call all men "Daddy," or all animals "doggie," or all round objects "ball." Others have pointed out that "under generalization" also occurs. For instance, a child might call only her own striped ball "ball," and stay silent about all the rest, or refer to the family dog and others of the same type as "doggie" but not name any others. Children's first sentences may be basic and grammatically incorrect: "Me go home"; "Daddy have cup." But the bottom line is, they are EXPLORING their language, which is great! Children learn language by using it! So make sure you encourage them to keep talking, even if they don't sound like an Oxford candidate in their first sentence! (taken from here.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips!

The Normans! said...

What a great post! I am a big fan of baby sign language. Elijah learned how to sign when he was a baby, and being able to communicate with him before he could verbally express his needs was priceless! I recommend it to everyone!

The Parnell's said...

Great tips! I do have a speech question for you. Any idea how I can get Andrew to pronounce his L's correctly? He's almost 5 and says "wike" instead of "like". It drives me nuts and sounding it out doesn't seem to be working. I love reading your posts so keep them up girl!

Caroline said...

thanks guys!
Amy- L's are tricky. Substituting y for l is common to. Can he say the l in by itself? Work on saying the l just by itself. (Tip of the tongue to the top of the mouth). Then we gets that, put it with a vowell, like "la,la,la" or "Lelele." Once he has that, go to consonant/vowell/consonant like like, leep, let, loud, etc. Then two syllable words. See what I am doing? Starting simple and adding on. Once he gets the words, add phrases, then to sentences, etc.
I've been thinking about you.- Love you!

The Parnell's said...

Caroline he can say the L on his own. If you ask him to so la la la he can but when it comes to putting it in a word it comes out as W. He says wuv or wike. After reading your newest post I'm beginning to think it may be a stubborn thing, but I'm not for certain since I've never heard him pronounce L correctly when saying a word. I was hoping Pre-K would help him out in that area but so far no luck. Thanks for the advice!Love you girl

Lindy said...

thankyou so much! This was a very helpful post! Logan is a little behind due to many ear infections and huge tonsils that are now gone :0)

Sallie said...

I'm so glad you posted this! It's so nice to have some "rules of thumb" to go by. I can always count on you, Lina!