Thursday, August 18, 2005
Tough
One of our resident's passed away this morning. I know that it is part of it. I know that is the direction they are all headed. But when you are there on a day to day basis, and you get attached to them and their families, it is hard to remember that they are there for end of life care. The resident who passed had nine children, and they were all there, planning the funeral and getting things ready. It was tough to watch them. Even though he has had Alzheimers and he is better off now, it's still tough to watch. This afternoon at the hospital, a lady called me. She is the daughter of a patient I have coming in for an evaluation next week. She wanted to explain what was going on without her mother there, because they aren't telling her mother her complete diagnosis as she wouldn't be able to handle it. Her mother has frontal lobe deterioration. She was explaining the situation and she started crying on the phone. These are the days my job is hard. I really don't have anything else to say, I just wanted to share my downs as much as I share my ups. It's days like these where I appreciate the longer drive home, because it gives me time to cry and release and have time to regroup. I think sometimes I appear calloused because things at work that are sad to those who don't work there everyday don't effect me as much anymore. Sometimes I feel bad about that and question if I am becoming too calloused to my every day environment. So it's good to have days like these where I am reminded that I am still effected and still have tender-hearted moments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are a light in a very, very dark place. We shut people who are sick or old away to die, so we dont have to deal with it or see it, day in and day out. But you- you are one of the angels who gets down in the trenches everyday and deals with the heartache and reality of these lonely , dying people. God bless you Caroline. You are doing amazing things for these people, and most of the important things in your job have very little to do with the technical side of your training. You rock.
Post a Comment