Friday, August 05, 2005

Self checkout

Me and my friend Mary Pullias were at Walmart tonight. She was paying at the "self checkout" area. I do this all the time. It's not a hard concept. I never have difficulty on my own and am completely competent to get through self checkout without difficulty. But for some reason, when you aren't the one paying, you get fidgety and the need to explore the contents of the purchased items overwhelms you and in this case, got the better of me. You see where this is going. Well obviously those checkout scanners are sensitive and you CANNOT move the stuff or else the little lady says, "Item not recognized. Please seek cashier assistance. Please wait." Well, I thought if you were paying for the items it was okay?... Apparently not. I picked up one thing and the scanner freaked out and froze up and I had to take the walk of shame to the cashier to tell her that I had disobeyed the rules of self check out. So MP gets through and is almost done paying, and I think to my self, "Hmm, why did she put everything in two bags? This could easily fit into one." And as my hand picked up the lighter bag to consolidate it, my head said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in slow motion, but it was too late. "Item not recognized. Please seek cashier assistance. Please wait." Insert dirty look from Mary Pullias here. I smiled at her. "Whoops," I said, grinning, and took the walk of shame once again. She made me stand by the chips until we got the "all clear." When we were driving away, she said, "You just sit in that passanger seat and hold these bottles. That is your one job." Yea, they totally crashed to the floor when she pulled out of Walmart. Being my friend takes the word, "perserverance" to a whole new level. As the good book says, perserverance builds character (whether you can spell it correctly or not). I am just doing my job to make my friends stronger.

No comments: