Thursday, August 18, 2005

Holy Smokes

We have a little patient who is completely in his own world due to Alzheimers. He is still mobile and walks around the nursing home. He is extremely pleasant and sweet as can be. His speech is mainly jargon, but every once in a while he makes out a complete thought. Today he was standing in the hallway, falling asleep standing up. After much persuasion, I got him to follow me to his room, where I sat him down in his recliner. I didn't want him to fall asleep standing up and fall and hurt himself. As soon as he sat down, he was out. I covered him up and reclined his chair for him, and then kissed him on the cheek. You start to take care of them like you would a child. As soon as I kissed him, his eyes popped open and he said, "HOLY SMOKES, I LOVE THAT!"

No comments: