Thursday, February 17, 2005

Armless Dancing

Riverdance was great! I was so greatly impressed. How do they do that... kick their legs all over the place and barely move their arms? They make it look so easy, but I assure you that I have tried, and it's not. One of my favorite parts was when the two "soul" tap dancers dueled the three Riverdancers (sounds so not cool, but it was my friend). One of my favorite quotes from my favorite tv show, Friends, involves Riverdance. They are playing a trivia game that Ross made up to see who knows each other better, the boys or the girls. It goes a little something like this (I know, I know, it's a little sad that I can quote this Friends so much)...
Ross- "According to Chandler, what phenomenon scares the begeezus out of him."
Monica- "Michael Flannly, Lord of the Dance."
Joey- "The Irish Jig Guy?"
Chandler- "His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

So true. I went to the dentist yesterday. I typically dread dentist visits, even when our good friend Jared Cox, DDS took care of me back in Searcy. I know it's ironic that I should have such a weird aversion people having their hands in my mouth and scraping my teeth, given that I have my hands in peoples mouth all the time for my job. There's just something about the combo of the gritty goo they put in your mouth which is somehow supposed to clean your teeth (I am weird with textures) and that dang minty flavor that gets my goat.

I HATE sperimint flavor. Why must something which is already terrible b/c of the texture be worstened by that awful disgusting flavor? Which by the way, whoever thought to combine that awful speriment flavor with chocolate (e.g. mint chocolate chip icecream, andes mints, york peppermint patties)? This is so wrong. It's such a tease b/c you think you are getting chocolate, but no. You have an overpowering gum flavor with underflavored chocolate. Gross. I don't think there is many foods I dislike as much as I dislike this combo, except my least favorite food ever- chili. Yuck.

Right, back to the dentist. So any way, I went to a great dentist who is a friend of Jared's. He was super nice and had a lot of high tech stuff. He took my xrays and then displayed them on the tv screen. Then he had a diagram of all my teeth on the computerized tv screen and had the tech mark the teeth so I could see which ones looked bad. Even with all of this impressive technology, the thing I was most impressed with was the flavor of gritty goo... cinnamon! It was revolutionary. I have never had that choice. And it made the dreadful scraping part much more tolerable. I love cinnamon. I have always hated toothpaste flavors with a passion b/c of that dang spearment, and the best day ever was when they came out with that cinnamon crest toothpaste.

No cavities, I am happy to report, but two that are on the verge. And of course he got on to me like Jared does for not flossing. I know that's gross, but it HURTS. My gums bleed everytime and it just seems silly. But after working in a nursing home and seeing many a toothless grin, I have decided to try, once again, to build the flossing habit up. We'll see.

No comments: