Monday, February 01, 2010

Mexican Chicken

Over the past 5 years, I have pretty much lost my taste for casseroles. Half of it has been for health reasons, given that most casseroles I grew up with had at least can of one "cream of something" soup loaded with ingredients I don't recognize. But then the whole gf thing sealed the deal. However, if there is one casserole I have missed, it is King Ranch Chicken or Mexican Chicken Casserole. You know the one... all the "cream of" soups mixed with sour cream then layered with cheese, veggies (cooked onions/rotel), and chicken. It's quite delicious, and I have craved it lately, but I can't have the "cream of" soups, nor do I really want them.

This weekend I made chicken tortilla soup from scratch. Today, I had a crazy idea, and it turned out well and totally kicked King Ranch Chicken's butt. Here's what you do...

  1. Make your favorite chicken tortilla soup one night and enjoy it. The recipe doesn't matter. Just your typical broth based Mexican soup with chicken, tomatoes, beans, corn, onions, etc.
  2. The day after you make chicken tortilla soup, layer the bottom of a casserole dish with tortilla chips. I am pretty addicted to Trader Joe's Organic White Corn chips these days- they are just the right thickness. But that's beside the point...
  3. With a slotted spoon, strain the soup ingredients and spoon over the chips. I let a little broth get in there to soften the chips a tad.
  4. Sprinkle with cheddar and jack. Top with jalapenos if desired. I also topped with a little basil just for kicks. It was grand.
  5. If serving for a big appetite, repeat the layers one more time.
  6. When the layering is complete, pour a little of the broth over the top. Not too much. This helps cohesify the dish. That is my new favorite word. Yes, I made it up.
  7. Cook in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is warm and bubbly. I put it on the top rack so it gets good and crispy.

I would have taken a picture but I scarfed it down too quickly. Sorry about that.

No comments: