Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm Giving You One Week...

To decide who's with me. I have decided to give up refined sugar for the season of Lent, which starts next Wednesday, February 17. No I am not Catholic. But our church has participated in the discipline of Lent and I have found it a very refreshing journey. The first year I did it, I gave up ghetto music. I am not kidding. Last year, I decided to forgo lent as I had given up gluten and dairy. This year, I have decided to give up refined sugar.

I do have a boundary with myself that I can't do anything that is over the top strict when it comes to food. So my guidelines are... No refined sugar, no artificial sugar, no alcohol. I will have natural occurring sugar, including agave nectar, molasses, honey, fruit, vegetables. I am just cutting the excess. Here are my reasons...
  1. Last year, I let myself get a little lazy in my prayer and Bible reading. Typically I sleep to the last minute possible in the mornings and crash at night. My goal is by taking sugar out, I will be more steady in my energy level and it can aid me in my ultimate goal... better focus on my life as the hands and feet of God. I am starting with the goal of giving up 15 minutes of sleep every morning when I wake up and at night before bed to spend with God. I want my mind to be clear and ready for what He has to teach me.
  2. I want to rev up my immune system before traveling to Africa. Sugar can really whack out your system. Food intolerance peeps have good bacteria/yeast balance issues anyway, and your immune system relies greatly on a healthy balance in your GI tract.
  3. I am starting a new probiotic regimen that I want to get the most out of. Getting extra sugar out of my diet will help with that. The probiotics I am starting are both the Yeast Assassin and the Tummy Tune Up from this great company. Their products are all natural and very well priced!
  4. I am trying to rely on natural sources of energy to get my energy steady as possible so I can perform my best in Africa. The main natural sources I am focusing on now are Vitamins, Water, and Exercise.
  • I have started Vitamin D after finding out last week that I am WAY too low... 25 (range is 30 to 70). It must be working, because I was dancing for about 3 minutes yesterday morning before I even realized it. And I am NO morning person, believe me. I am also starting their women's vitamin "Super Mom." I am serious on the well priced- I got 3 months worth of these natural vitamins for $33. No kidding.
  • I am really trying to increase my water intake. I used to be so anal about this, but have slipped over the years. My goal is that cutting ALL sodas (diet or real) will encourage me to drink more water. But don't you dare take away my coffee in the morning. I refuse.
  • I am doing much better in daily exercise, but want to keep on. A steady energy level will help with this.

Also, don't tell anyone but I am turning 30 this summer while in Africa. No lie. With all my health quirks, I haven't felt the youngest over the last year. I want to feel like I am turning 30, not 70.

SO WHO'S WITH ME?? We'll blog about it, we'll support each other... oh what a time we will have!! Wednesday, February 17 through Saturday April 3rd. If Miss Dr. Pepper 2009 can do it, you can too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you've certainly given me something to think about. I've always wanted to do this exact thing, but shall I attempt it pregnant? Not sure...