Sunday, August 09, 2009

Heart-Attack Free Southern Green Beans (and the CSA this week)




This week, my CSA box included eggplant, corn, red potatoes, 2 squash, tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, and eggs. I foresee more eggplant parcels, a farmers omelet, and filling the freezer with taquitos. Above is last week's box (still low quality phone camera pics-sorry)... I had eggplant, corn, green beans, yellow tomatoes, peaches, a mystery melon, beef stew bones (not sure if I will ever use that), amazing bacon, and eggs. I also got these big squash from a coworker. I have been relying a lot on this jambalaya recipe to help use my veggies.
And the green beans? Well, you know the age old recipe of bacon wrapped green beans with 3 green beans, 1 lb brown sugar, 2 lbs of bacon and 5 sticks of butter? I have created a modified version that doesn't require as much work and is not quite as painful to the waste line. However, the sweet/savory flavor palate is still there. YUM.

Southern Heart-attack-free Green Beans (I don't measure, just eyeball according to how many people you are cooking for)

-Line a small casserole dish with foil(no clean up)...

-Fill the bottom of the pan with fresh green beans, ends capped

-Cut bacon into small pieces (I used meaty 3 pieces) and cook until half way done in the microwave, to get rid of the excess grease. Use center cut bacon, as it's just as lean as turkey bacon. Place over the green beans.

-Add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 T Worcestershire, and about 3 good shakes/grinds of pepper.

-In a small bowl, mix about 3 T brown sugar with about 1-2 T earth balance or butter, just until sugar is wet and crumbly. It really doesn't take a lot to get that same flavor without gaining 5 lbs after eating them. Place over bean mixture.

-Add about 1/3-1/2 cup of water. This helps cook the green beans. The original recipe depended on the bacon grease and butter to cook the beans. No thanks.

-Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Check on them about 20 minutes in. If the water is all gone and they are still tough, add a little more water.

-Serve, and enjoy knowing that you can have this recipe without your waste expanding or arteries clogging. And think of it this way... a healthier version means enjoying it more often than just the holidays!

No comments: