Oh. My. Word. My dinner creation was so good that I had to stop and blog about it. I NEVER thought I would enjoy lasagna again. But tonight, I made the best lasagna I have ever made. It was fabulous. And simple. And "clean." And yum.
White Chicken Lasagna
-1 lb chicken boneless/skinless chicken breast, raw and cubed
-1 cup of sliced mushrooms
-1/2 cup white cooking wine
-1 package of lasagna noodles (GF peeps... the Tinyada brand are the BEST noodles. My "G-FULL" friends tasted no difference.)
-16 ounces Ricotta
-1 egg
-20ish fresh basil leaves (1 package if buying then)
-2 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
-4 medium sized tomatoes
-16 oz shredded mozzarella
-1/2 cup real Parmesan
-Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning
-3 garlic cloves, minced
1. Boil lasagna noodles per package. Remember to salt them for flavor.
2. While lasagna noodles are boiling, pour cooking wine into a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and simmer until 90% cooked. When it's all white but needs a few more minutes, add the mushrooms. Season this mixture with pepper and garlic powder.
3, In your food processor, blend the 4 tomatoes until they are a chunky sauce. Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. Place aside in a bowl. This acts as your "marinara sauce." I am not a huge fan of marinara sauce in lasagna, because I think it takes away from all of the other flavors. This adds a GREAT, clean, fresh flavor while still getting the tomatoes in there.
4. Once your food processor is rinsed out, it's time for round two. No rest for the weary. This time in the processor, mix the ricotta (or tofu), basil, spinach, salt, garlic, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. It takes a lot of seasoning, so taste as you go. The taste doesn't weaken or strengthen when it cooks, so make sure you flavor well. Once your taste buds approve, add the egg and give it one more good blend. It should be creamy.
5. Add chicken and mushrooms to the mixture and give it 2-3 good swirls in the food processor. I loved this consistency because it was much smoother than big chunks of chicken. If you want more texture, feel free to shred the chicken or just add it in chunks. This is a good way to sneak mushrooms in to your kids' food.
6. Spray the bottom of the 9x13 pan with Pam. Layer the lasagna in the following order from bottom to top... Noodles, 1/2 of tofu mixture, 1/2 of chunky tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella. Repeat one time. If you have any extra lasagna noodles, throw them on top. Then top with one last layer of mozzarella and the 1/2 cup Parmesan.
7. Cook uncovered for about 40 minutes at 350 until golden and bubbly.
8. Enjoy... and let me know what you think!
2 comments:
How do you think the tofu substitution would do in a dish where the ricotta is more of a star- like manacotti or stuffed shells??
Yes I think that would be fine!
Post a Comment