Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ants Climb a Tree



This recipe and the picture are complements of a fellow CSA member who sent this recipe to the farm blog. I tried it and LOVED it. Seriously, I ate too much because it tasted so good! I didn't have every single ingredient, so don't let that stop you. I used dried onions b/c I didn't have green onions. I used teriyaki sauce and Worcestershire in place of some of the sauces I didn't have. It was absolutely Delicious, and naturally gluten free!

Ants Climb a Tree (a variation on a traditional Chinese recipe)
Mayi Shang Shu

1 lb. Ground Pork, beef, or turkey (I used ground beef from my CSA).
1 Package Rice noodles -- you can find these in the Chinese section of any grocery store
1 Head Cabbage, sliced thin (I only had half a head, so I added mushrooms. If you have a food processor, it does it beautifully in 25 seconds.)
2 Bunches Green Onion/Garlic Scapes, whichever you have on hand, in 1 inch slices
1 T Chinese Chili-Garlic Sauce
2-4 T Soy Sauce (Check for hidden wheat if you are GF)
2-4 T Rice Wine Vinegar
1-2 T Sesame Oil (all of the sauces are to taste, depending on how much you like spicy and/or salty food)

Boil 4 C water on the stovetop and add the noodles. Let them cook for 7-9 minutes, until they are clear (they should look like plastic or cellophane).

In a wok or large saucepan, brown the meat. Add the chili-garlic sauce and mix well. Add the cabbage and green onions and sauté until wilted. Drain the noodles in a colander, and add soy sauce and vinegar, mixing well.

This can sit on the stove for a long while at low heat if you stir occasionally, and the flavors will meld. Serve with a splash of sesame oil. The brave can add more chili-garlic sauce. This makes great leftovers. (I sure hope so b/c I have a ton leftover.) The poster of this recipe said that her kids LOVE this, for those of you with kiddos.

No comments: