Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cardboard Testimonies

Last Sunday at Otter Creek was one of the most powerful church services I have ever seen. Watch and see why. A special thanks to the many brothers and sisters who shared their personal struggles! I believe, through painful experience, that confession of our humanness is KEY in our Christian walks. Being honest of our struggles and where HE brought us helps remind us and others that we are nothing without the Cross and without the grace of God.

I believe Christianity and church communities is off putting for so many because it is so often a place where everyone puts on a face or a facade when they walk through those doors. I confess I used to be that way. I felt I had to have it all together. But God taught me otherwise through a struggle that was going to take me down if I did not swallow my pride and get help. The greatest lesson I learned through that experience was the need for authenticity in Christianity.

I am who I am in and out of that Church building. I am surrounded in my small group by people who are 100% who they are and honest about their struggles. I have retired my many hats that I wore for years to so many different people: my church hat, my Conservative hat, my liberal hat, my work hat, etc. The only one I have now is the one that reads: Imperfect, and covered by the grace of God.

This video is almost 14 minutes and worth every minute of your time. I have decided that my cardboard would read something like this:
Side 1: OCD, Mental Hospitalization, 20 years of an eating disorder &disordered body image.
Side 2: Jesus calmed my storm.


Otter Creek Cardboard Testimonials from David Rubio on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

I love David Rubio! That church is so blessed to have him. That was a wonderful lesson! It brought tears to my eyes.

The Normans! said...

I still cry when I see that video! What a beautiful time that was for our church! I think my cardboard might read:
Side 1: Hurt by unhealthy relationships, enslaved by lies
Side 2: Brought into new life of healing and truth. Hallelujah!