Saturday, May 09, 2009

Gfree Diet Book




A friend at Church who just happens to publish books overheard about my gluten issues. She just happened to be in the big middle of working with The GFree Diet by Elisabeth Hasslebeck. I got a free copy, and it's been a great resource for me. It's a GREAT, easy to read, well organized starter book for anyone who has just been diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I also think it's a mandatory read if your spouse, child, or close friend/relative has been diagnosed. It really breaks down all the confusion and explains things bit by bit. Here are a few facts I learned from the book:


  1. I am not being careful enough. My random reactions have a lot to do with my exposure to cross contaminated food, and I have got to start being more careful. For example, if my corn chips are gluten free but run down the same factory belt as the wheat-filled pretzels, the crumbs on the belt are enough to cause a reaction (see #3).

  2. The average celiac/gf person takes 10 years from the onset of symptoms to be properly diagnosed. TEN. I don't think you understand just how MISERABLE the symptoms are. TEN YEARS is incomprehensible to me.

  3. The average celiac/gf person will have a reaction when exposed to 1 gram of gluten. That is the equivalent to 1/25th of a piece of bread or 1/5th of a teaspoon of gluten. Remember that next time you think your gf friend is being overally paranoid! :)

  4. Celiac and gluten intolerance is a genetic disposition. I have the gene for it, thanks to my mother (who carries the gene but has not had the onset yet). Though I have had the gene my whole life, it hasn't been active until recently. It has been studied that it is something that lies dormant and can be triggered by childbirth, surgery, viral infections, or emotional stress. I have no doubt that the emotional stress of this past summer in life changes and dealing with my eating disorder are what triggered my onset.

  5. Gluten is in EVERYTHING, including beauty products. I knew this b/c of my reactions to lipstick. However, I have been CLAWING at my scalp with no understanding of why it was bothering me so. After reading her section on beauty products, I realized that my Aveeda products, as wonderful as they are, are filled with hydrolyzed wheat protein. No wonder. Guess I will be switching to Suave or Dove, which have many gluten free products.

  6. It is pretty normal for restaurants to use the same water for cooking pasta to cook their veggies or edamame. Enter, a reaction from yours truly.

  7. One of the main reasons it is something doc's know so little about is b/c the only cure is a diet change. There is no medicine that will fix it. In our pharm-driven medical model, many doc's ignore it b/c they can't treat it with a pill. Hence the avg 10 year diagnosis.

  8. Mostly all celiacs have a learning curve, where they cheat and pay for it later. I found this out the hard way this week.

  9. If you live with people and are GF, you need to have your own butter, mayo, jelly, pb jars. If your hubby is dipping his knife in and out of the butter, the crumbs will get onto your bread as well.

  10. I have thrown this fact out there already, but it is 1 in 133 people! America is the country with the most people who are misdiagnosed. It is so well diagnosed in Finland that McDonald's serve GF buns. Even if you think these facts don't apply, put them in the back of your head! With those statistics, someone you know and love has it and will need to know some of these tips in the future!

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Hey I found this website and thought you might like it if you haven't already seen it. Hope all is well with you!
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

D Root said...

I think about you so often! Just know when you visit us, I'll have GF meals (and cookies!!) waiting for you!! It was so good to see you yesterday at Ash's party. Hope to see you again before I leave to go home.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

man! glad you got it figured out. i'm so glad you have such supportive friends. it makes me optimistic about ethan's future, as well as the future of other kids with allergies/intolerances. i bet you'd love to travel to finland!