Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Precious friends

I got the best surprise yesterday! My good friend Larissa from high school called me Sunday afternoon and said that my other great friend Laura Lincoln Campbell was in town and they wanted to come over. There is something so comforting and so refreshing about being around old friends. I love my newer friends, all are precious and such blessings. But being with people who have literally know you your whole life, and who all have different memories that piece together hilarious stories from the past, it's such a blessing. And I just realize how rare that is. How most of my friends don't keep up with anyone from highschool.

And how I shared 8 hours with two girls who have known me my whole life and went through old yearbooks and recalled past times. We talked about highschool and how we thought we were so invincable, especially behind the wheel. We talked about the boys we were so intent on in junior high and how funny it is that we were so convinced we were in love. We talked about teachers, about friends, about prom and awkard dates.

About stupid things we did to boys, like the time I told a boy I didn't want to date him anymore in college because the day after we began dating he sent me a big basket and it freaked me out. :) About Laura's prom date (who is also an exboyfriend of my sisters) who went out on the dance floor at Searcy High School and danced like he was on a Nelly video and absolutely mortified her. About the time we went on a hayride with Larissa's church and went to eat afterwards. I had "freshend up" and gotten distracted, and I went into Wendy's and was ordering when my friends realized I had dots of foundation all over my face I failed to rub in.

And then we were able to talk about our lives currently and about our faith, and I just want the record to show that I praise God that I am so blessed. I realize how rare that is to have such deep, old friendships. To be blessed with mature friends from highschool, and I praise God for that. I praise him that we have kept that friendship despite our business and different paths in life. What an amazing surprise, and just want I needed. He is so good to me.

No comments: